Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:39 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

The first thing I would say is that your build; 107, TW-777, Pro Pipe 2/1 and Stock Heads should make in the 100Hp range so you are right there, especially considering the dyno chart shows that it was over 100 degrees in the dyno cell. The run was also done in 5th gear rather than 6th, so the numbers will be slightly lower as well as 6th is 1:1. On the torque side you are down slightly, looking at your chart it is very likely one of two things or a combination of both. First may be clutch slip, the stock spring may not be strong enough before the lockup engages, note the area where it comes into peak torque is not making a smooth transition in your chart; the second is the chambered baffle in the Pro Pipe, we modify this so it is straight thru. This makes a considerable difference in the area of the chart that is struggling. As far as the tune I would really need to take a look to see if anything is out of the ordinary, you are welcome to email it to me.

In the end you are not that far off the mark at all, especially on a bike with stock heads with a potentially slipping clutch, in less than desirable conditions, being tested in 5th gear. If you or your tuner need any assistance you are welcome to contact us.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The first thing I would say is that your build; 107, TW-777, Pro Pipe 2/1 and Stock Heads should make in the 100Hp range so you are right there, especially considering the dyno chart shows that it was over 100 degrees in the dyno cell. The run was also done in 5th gear rather than 6th, so the numbers will be slightly lower as well as 6th is 1:1. On the torque side you are down slightly, looking at your chart it is very likely one of two things or a combination of both. First may be clutch slip, the stock spring may not be strong enough before the lockup engages, note the area where it comes into peak torque is not making a smooth transition in your chart; the second is the chambered baffle in the Pro Pipe, we modify this so it is straight thru. This makes a considerable difference in the area of the chart that is struggling. As far as the tune I would really need to take a look to see if anything is out of the ordinary, you are welcome to email it to me. In the end you are not that far off the mark at all, especially on a bike with stock heads with a potentially slipping clutch, in less than desirable conditions, being tested in 5th gear. If you or your tuner need any assistance you are welcome to contact us.
Thanks so much. I'll be sending you a copy of the dyno tune as soon as I get home this evening and we can talk more about this baffle modification. As far as the numbers go I'm really not that upset over them. The extreme heat and fuel mileage is discouraging.
And you are absolutely right about the conditions. It was unbelievably hot.

Last edited by SBates08; 06-27-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Thanks so much. I'll be sending you a copy of the dyno tune as soon as I get home this evening and we can talk more about this baffle modification. As far as the numbers go I'm really not that upset over them. The extreme heat and fuel mileage is discouraging.
The clutch point sounds plausible and might explain the poor gas mileage, and I wonder of it might not be a source of some of this heat you mention.

Have you made any upgrade to the clutch, either the heavy duty spring or the AIM variable pressure clutch?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldhippie
The clutch point sounds plausible and might explain the poor gas mileage, and I wonder of it might not be a source of some of this heat you mention. Have you made any upgrade to the clutch, either the heavy duty spring or the AIM variable pressure clutch?
Yes I'm running the Aim VPC95 with the stock spring. I think he's referring to a slip before the VPC actually locks up.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The first thing I would say is that your build; 107, TW-777, Pro Pipe 2/1 and Stock Heads should make in the 100Hp range so you are right there, especially considering the dyno chart shows that it was over 100 degrees in the dyno cell. The run was also done in 5th gear rather than 6th, so the numbers will be slightly lower as well as 6th is 1:1. On the torque side you are down slightly, looking at your chart it is very likely one of two things or a combination of both. First may be clutch slip, the stock spring may not be strong enough before the lockup engages, note the area where it comes into peak torque is not making a smooth transition in your chart; the second is the chambered baffle in the Pro Pipe, we modify this so it is straight thru. This makes a considerable difference in the area of the chart that is struggling. As far as the tune I would really need to take a look to see if anything is out of the ordinary, you are welcome to email it to me.

In the end you are not that far off the mark at all, especially on a bike with stock heads with a potentially slipping clutch, in less than desirable conditions, being tested in 5th gear. If you or your tuner need any assistance you are welcome to contact us.
If you would, please let us know how this works out and what changes are made. Like you, this "new fangled" computer tuning is new to me.... but I am trying to learn!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
If you would, please let us know how this works out and what changes are made. Like you, this "new fangled" computer tuning is new to me.... but I am trying to learn!
Absolutely will. I just hope I sent Jamie the right stuff. Still learning myself.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been running the pro pipe a few years on my 2009 FLHT and love it. Here is a simple baffle mod that will help reduce/eliminate the infamous TQ dip. Very easy and can be reversed to stock sound easily.

"Pull your baffle and get a drill and a 1/2" bit. Drill (1) hole smack dab in the middle of the cap plug and space out (4) more holes at the Noon/3/6/9 o'clock positions on the outer edge of the cap. Looks like four corners of a square and one centered. Why 1/2" holes? Joeflewbuy figured out flow/volume/etc and came to the conclusion that a 1-1/4" hole dead center was the ticket. I opted for the same area via (5) holes, hence the 1/2" holes. The tone DID improve nicely while not getting louder plus my dyno showed the typical 2-1 TQ dip was non existent. Plus, you can buy (2) 2" fender washers/nut/bolt and sandwich the plug back to stock if you wish. Basically a free, effective baffle mod ...

Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks Troop I'll keep this in mind.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Digmt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question for those of you running stock heads. I purchased the 107 kit and had planned on doing the level b-c heads. Ive had the kit in my spare bedroom for almost a year trying to come up with enough cash to buy the heads and pay the core and stuff. I am planning to install the Aim style clutch along with the kit. My question is I ordered the 777's. The more I read I think it seams the better bang for the buck is to run the 555's when running the stock heads. I don't see me getting any closer to being able to order the heads and would really like to get the kit n my bike.
Should I just run the 777's and hope they work out ok or spend the $400 to get the 555's and when I can get the heads put the 777's in then? $400 is a lot easier to come up with then the $895 for the heads plus core and the Aim clutch?

I also purchased a black propipe that I assume will have to have the fuel moto modification?

Just wondering if the 777's need the added compression and if the 555's will work better for now.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:45 AM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Digmt
Just a quick question for those of you running stock heads. I purchased the 107 kit and had planned on doing the level b-c heads. Ive had the kit in my spare bedroom for almost a year trying to come up with enough cash to buy the heads and pay the core and stuff. I am planning to install the Aim style clutch along with the kit. My question is I ordered the 777's. The more I read I think it seams the better bang for the buck is to run the 555's when running the stock heads. I don't see me getting any closer to being able to order the heads and would really like to get the kit n my bike.
Should I just run the 777's and hope they work out ok or spend the $400 to get the 555's and when I can get the heads put the 777's in then? $400 is a lot easier to come up with then the $895 for the heads plus core and the Aim clutch?

I also purchased a black propipe that I assume will have to have the fuel moto modification?

Just wondering if the 777's need the added compression and if the 555's will work better for now.
Save your money until you can do it right then call Jamie at FM and do exactly what he suggests you should do. Oh ya, DO THE HEADS........

The following users liked this post:
Digmt (07-01-2016)

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto