Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork tube change...

Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork tube change...

OK - so I know I could figure this out with a quick look at a parts book or two, but I figured I'd ask (im lazy...)

So I'm changing out the fork tubes from the stainless to gloss black, and wondering what other parts I will want to consider changing. I figure changing the axle is pointless since you cant see it, but what parts can be seen and which ones would you recommend changing to black or chrome? I'm leaving the cowbells in stock chrome so I'm not opposed to chrome on the axle caps for example.

Oh - its an 09 FLTR, and yes I'll post pix when its done.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Now would be the time to change springs (if you're so inclined) and add a pair of Ricor Intiminators. Consider swapping your front rotors to floating ones too.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
Now would be the time to change springs (if you're so inclined) and add a pair of Ricor Intiminators. Consider swapping your front rotors to floating ones too.
Oddly, thats about what's happening...

Going back and forth between Ricor's or just the Progressive front springs. I understand you shouldnt mix the Ricors with Progressives.

Putting the floating rotors on too - and changing the front brakes since we're there.

Other suggestions? I REALLY dont want to pull these things more than once.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by honorsdaddy
I understand you shouldnt mix the Ricors with Progressives.
I don't know where you got that, but I've been using both all year and couldn't be happier with the combo.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got a riding buddy with a '10 Street Glide with the 1" lower Progressive springs and Intiminators. He loves the setup. Just make sure you let Brian at Ricor know that you're using the Progressive springs so he sends you the correct valving.

If your Roadie is an '09, it's already an inch low at the back. Going with the springs will drastically improve your suspension geometry (even though it's not doing you any ground clearance favors).

Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by '05Train
I've got a riding buddy with a '10 Street Glide with the 1" lower Progressive springs and Intiminators. He loves the setup. Just make sure you let Brian at Ricor know that you're using the Progressive springs so he sends you the correct valving.

If your Roadie is an '09, it's already an inch low at the back. Going with the springs will drastically improve your suspension geometry (even though it's not doing you any ground clearance favors).
I didnt realize he had different valving for Progressive springs. I'm sticking with the stock height though.

The '09 FLTR is not lowered. That's the '10 FLTRX. The '09 is at the standard ride height. Actually had the lowered FLHX shocks on it for a while, and the beating I got from Houston roads made the stock height go back on. Wasn't worth the look or the loss of lean.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Beemervet
I don't know where you got that, but I've been using both all year and couldn't be happier with the combo.
Could have sworn I read it on here somewhere.

What do you gain from using both? I'm curious as to how it feels. It may be worth the extra couple hundred.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:18 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I didnt realize he had different valving for Progressive springs. I'm sticking with the stock height though.

The '09 FLTR is not lowered. That's the '10 FLTRX. The '09 is at the standard ride height. Actually had the lowered FLHX shocks on it for a while, and the beating I got from Houston roads made the stock height go back on. Wasn't worth the look or the loss of lean.
Duhhhh, sorry. I forgot that the '10 was the chopped one, not the '09.

The '09+ factory springs are stiffer than the older springs, so there is a special valving for them. I believe (but I'm not positive) that the Progressives take the Intiminators for the '08 and older springs.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Could have sworn I read it on here somewhere.

What do you gain from using both? I'm curious as to how it feels. It may be worth the extra couple hundred.

The standard height Progressive springs eliminate dive, dented fenders, and respond to the road much better than stock. Adding the Intiminators smoothed the response to everything, including expansion joints and potholes. It's a great combo.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

When I powdercoated my front forks I went with a Bad As Hell fork cap to finish off the right hand fork.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fork tube change...