Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Bugspit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield

I have read many many posts online here in regards to the buffetting issue on Street Glides. I am 6'2 and tend to sit a little high. I have been riding damm near all my life and mostly with out windshields, but with this bike I feel like my head is in a blender. Half helmets dont work, full helmets work only with shield down. I have tried sitting back and also crouching down and that makes things a little better, but as we all know thats not too safe.

My question is after looking at all of the comments on the forum on this issue I have decided on getting a Cleraview 8.5 recurve. Does anyone have experience with this and did it help the problem?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
BMF
Cruiser

Try lowers. Most of the wind causing the buffeting is coming from down there. Easy test I did was rode with my knees squeezed against the tank. Stopped the buffeting that's how I figured it out.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what you mean! The HD 4" shield looks cool but thats about it! May want to look at www.fastaire.com
Their "Freedom Shields" have the recurve & prices & service are great! Lowrs make a HUGE diffrence too!

MUCH less buffeting while in the trim of pic 2!

Attached Thumbnails Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield-xd-1-040.jpg   Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield-dscf0605.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a 22" Clearview on my '09 RK. I'm 6'4" and it made a huge difference and I'm still able to see 'over' the shield. (Highly recommended) A previous poster mentioned installing lowers to stop the air from coming up from 'underneath' but me bro has these flares ( on his SG) that screw onto your fairing and he's happy as hell. I'll be going for the fork deflectors myself on the RK.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 8.5 clearview recurve and I really like it. I've had it for a couple if years now. I called Clearview and talked to them about what 'blems' they had on hand. The one I got had imperfections that were barely noticeable when you knew where to look. The shield still looks and works great. I'm 6'2'' so YMMV.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Clearview that I have equiped with Saeng Micro-swirl edging. www.saeng.com/category.php?category=80 Without it, the Clearview was much better than stock, with it there is almost no buffeting.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Bugspit
Cruiser

Thanks for the comments. I am wondering what the difference between the clearview recurve and klock werks 8.5 flare is other then price.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I've got the moco 4" smoked shield and the 8" Clearview recurve. No comparison between the two. I'll use the short shield in July and August when I want the wind on my face and chest, but the rest of the year it's wrapped up and on a shelf in my garage. When this Clearview needs replacing, I'll get another one.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I've got the moco 4" smoked shield and the 8" Clearview recurve. No comparison between the two. I'll use the short shield in July and August when I want the wind on my face and chest, but the rest of the year it's wrapped up and on a shelf in my garage. When this Clearview needs replacing, I'll get another one.
Couldn't agree more. Having come from riding behind a windshield, and now riding behind a fairing, I think I got lucky the first time out. I bought a 6.5" recurve shield and it is perfect. It actually sits a few inches lower than my 17" replacement shield I was using on my RK, and I see well over the top, yet with the recurve it deflects more wind than the taller shield. I'm very happy with my choice.

As for the lowers, they don't help with buffeting, but they actually direct more wind into your face because of there shape. Unless you use the fairing mounted wind deflectors in tandem. I ran a test with them on and off.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bugspit
I have read many many posts online here in regards to the buffetting issue on Street Glides. I am 6'2 and tend to sit a little high. I have been riding damm near all my life and mostly with out windshields, but with this bike I feel like my head is in a blender. Half helmets dont work, full helmets work only with shield down. I have tried sitting back and also crouching down and that makes things a little better, but as we all know thats not too safe.

My question is after looking at all of the comments on the forum on this issue I have decided on getting a Cleraview 8.5 recurve. Does anyone have experience with this and did it help the problem?

Thanks for any help!
The Clearview or other recurved windshield will help, but with your height I would recommend a taller one than 8.5". I am 5'10" and use a 9" windshield.

Quick Reply: Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield