Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prairie du chien, WI

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
mja52403
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride this area all the time. I try to do a river run every fall and take in the scenery. Last year I was a little late and most of the leaves were already down. A great ride for me is from La Crosse to Prairie du Chien, then east on 60, then 131 back north with a stop at Wildcat State Park for a photo op, then home.

There are many great places to eat along the way. One of my newest favorites is a project that I worked on a few years ago. The Potosi Brewery in Potosi, which is south of Prairie du Chein. Great food and a great riding area. Highway U from Potosi north towards PdC is a great ride in my opinion.

I've done the Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota side of the river. All are great. If it's cold out, best to use the sun and stay on the west side of the river in the morning and the east side in the evening....trust me, it gets chilly along the river when the sun is rising and setting.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

We usually do at least 5 or 6 trips to PDC, Lacrosse and any other places between there and home. Usually hitting Ball Town (Brietbacks) on the Iowa side on the way North, then we hit either the Patosi Brewery or Poopy's on the way back. There are also a lot of great rides all along that route , about when I think I have hit them all I find another one.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
WZDADS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to hit Pike's Peak on the McGregor side and walk the trail. Been there three times and this year was the first time I walked the trail, well worth it imho...

Last edited by WZDADS; 10-05-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We live in east central Ia. and run the river to Mn. Wis. Ill. most every weekend and feel blessed to have such great riding so close to home there is so many county blacktop roads it is always fun to try to get lost and see where you end up

Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WZDADS
Don't forget to hit Pike's Peak on the McGregor side and walk the trail. Been there three times and this year was the first time I walked the trail, well worth it imho...

Crazy Carls

Old 10-06-2010, 05:56 AM
91FLSTC
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will second the Potosi Brewery. I just stopped there last night to fill a couple of growlers. Other good places to stop are Petes Hamburgers in downtown PDC, The Spring Lake Inn which is 4 miles north of PDC on HWY 35, The Great River Roadhouse in Desoto, The Hideaway bar in Chaseburg.They have a killer reuben sandwich. New Diggings General store in New Diggings Wisconsin and if you venture east on Hwy 14 stop at Rookies sports bar in Black Earth.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:22 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Prairie du Chien, WI

Ya'll forgot the most important stop off in town!!! CABELA'S!!! LOL!!
Made the run down the Wis. River from the Dells (US 12) to Sauk Prarire then along the river again (US 60) to PdC, then up the GRR to La Crosse, then (US 16) back to the interstate at Sparta. Was a couple of weeks ago and the colors were just starting to turn...should be great about now.

The run along US 131 through Wildcat Mtn. State Park is a good ride also...lots of twisties and Amish farmland. Catch the Rockton Bar's BBQ Chicken fry (between Ontario and La Farge), also stop in at 'Wildthings' in Rockton.

Last edited by FXSTS-88; 10-06-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plan on going there the weekend of the 23rd/24th. Some of the best riding I've ever done.
Once I get west of Madison, it's just two lane twisting, beautiful roads. Can't wait. Hope the weather is nice for the wife and me.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 AM
DOORDOC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it is nice up there. We have family up there.
We are headed up there this weekend with another couple. we have a campground that we are staying at. OL wants to check out the leaves, so what momma wants, momma gets.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

Hey Doordoc, if you are camping near a river or creek you might call ahead. They have had a chitload of rain up there. I live on the Ole Miss and it is high right now because of rain fall from up there. We are heading that way this weekend as well. Ride safe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prairie du chien, WI