Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JESCustomAccents Oil Temp Gauge

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JESCustomAccents Oil Temp Gauge

I had moved my fuel gauge down to the air gauge position and made a GPS mount for my now blank gauge spot on my RGU. But because of this, I didn't have a convenient spot for an oil temp gauge. I don't like the digital one HD sells either.

Based on Texas Fat Boy's post on this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ipstick-3.html I decided to contact http://www.jescustomaccents.com/ and talked to him about the analog oil dipstick he sells. And since I have not seen a review here, decided to post something. Apparently he also sells an oil filled gauge that is more $$ (not advertised), but it prevents fogging of the gauge. I just wanted something to keep track of my temps (though it has cooled off around here now) so the model he had listed was what I ended up ordering from him. Plus all Harley gauges fog up anyways, right!!! His communication with me was very good as there was a slight delay due to machining apparently, but he gave me an estimate on when it would ship, and emailed me when they did ship, which was accurate. Happy with that.

I received the oil temp and tranmission dipsticks today. It came with well written directions and was packed well. I must admit the oil dipstick is an interesting design. It has a base that screws in place of the stock dipstick and a wedge with a guide for the actual dipstick. The wedge is moveable to align it as needed and then two set screws are used to lock it in place. The gauge/dipstick has a guide pin and slides into a slot on the wedge and then you rotate the gauge to the viewable position you want. That pin locks it in place. So just read the gauge, if you need to check oil, rotate gauge to the align the witness marks (matches the pin on the gauge/dipstick with the slot on the wedge) and pull the gauge/dipstick out to check it. When changing the oil, remove dipstick, then remove the wedge and threaded piece as one assembly. Fill and then reinstall. The dipstick appears to be machined from a single piece, no welds etc. and is not floppy like the OEM. The wedge and thread part appear to machined from aluminum and has been anodized black. If I was having someone else service my bike, I would either put the stocker back on before taking it in, or make sure I show the mechanic how the thing comes apart or they will tear it up or be calling me. My worry would be they force it and break that guide/retention pin and it falls into my engine. But I typically service my own bike. Regardless, the piece seems to be high quality and is in fact manufactured in the USA by a US small business.

I don't know how accurate the gauge is yet, only know it works. However, as far as checking the oil, it is dead on with what my OEM dipstick read as far as level. As far as seeing the gauge while on the bike; I can easily look down at a stop and see what the temp is at. Not something I would do moving, and wouldn't care if I was moving anyways... just if stuck in traffic or what not.

I also got a tranmission dipstick, and it is a nice little touch and a lot easier to remove/replace then the OEM. Plus it is made from a single piece of stock vice what appears to be two pieces brazed with the OEM.

Attached Thumbnails JESCustomAccents Oil Temp Gauge-dsc02343.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Road the bike in this morning and the gauge seems to be accurate. It read 180F and went up to ~200F when in traffic with temps outside of 43 degrees. Also a correction, the wedge and threaded part are made of delrin, not aluminum.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.....have been thinking about something like this for our FLHR's since the LED from MOCO seems a) a little cheesy and b) does not seem to hold up well. Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd recommend putting the stock one back in when you take the bike to the dealer for service.
The techs at my local shop are "Harley Techs" and are not real found of something new and aftermarket. lol

Old 10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've now had this JEScustomaccents oil temp gauge for a week now. Very high quality of materials, fit and finish. Dealing with the owner was a pleasurable experience and as said above he keeps good communication with you til it's shipped and on it's way to you. I got the oil-filled version as I hate a fogged gauge, so mine has that clear/thin oil inside the viewing area. Should help with dampening vibrations over time too.

So far this week I've gotten very consistent temps with this gauge. My bike is bone stock - no oil cooler/stock intake and pipes and running Mobile One 20W-50. These readings are interesting to me as I had no idea what temps my bike has been running at until now. I never did have the H-D digital dipstick on this bike (had it on a previous bike for awhile).

I have a one hour commute each way to work (67 miles each way). Now that it's fall the temps on the way to work in the early evening are in the 60's and it's all downhill from the mountains down into the city. The bike runs a very steady 230* on the one hour cruise.

In the morning after graveyard shift the weather warms up to around 80* or so by the time I get home. It runs about 230* for most of the way until I have to climb a long uphill freeway grade to get up into the mtns where my home is, then it warms up to 250* by the time I get to the top of the mtn grade at 4200' (I usually pull this grade in 5th gear at about 65 mph).

I've monitored the gauge very closely (yes I can see it on the fly, just glance down at it when I'm on a straight-away portion of the road) all this week. The readings are very consistent from day to day under these same conditions, so the gauge appears to be accurate and the bike's temps are consistent to the changing roadway conditions (that long uphill 6% grade for about 6 miles).

I've not ridden the bike in HOT weather yet, just mid-80's so far. I'll be watching the temps closely and decide on an oil cooler eventually.

I am definitely very impressed with the JES gauge and would recomment it to those interested. It's a very attractive style and "fits" the classic look you want for an H-D.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

Arizona, I am definitely buying one, thanks for the writeup.
After using it, would you get the oil filled unit?

thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 03:03 PM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
... The wedge is moveable to align it as needed and then two set screws are used to lock it in place. The gauge/dipstick has a guide pin and slides into a slot on the wedge and then you rotate the gauge to the viewable position you want. That pin locks it in place. .... My worry would be they force it and break that guide/retention pin and it falls into my engine...

Can someone comment on this. I'm interested in the gauge, but what's this about having guide pins that could fall in the oil tank? Can someone post pic's of this? If I'm a clumsy oaf, will I destroy my engine? TIA!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
I had moved my fuel gauge down to the air gauge position and made a GPS mount for my now blank gauge spot on my RGU.
Got pics of your GPS mount?

I like mine on the fuel door but I am interested in seeing what other have done.

FLTRUs RULE!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
gnshpdude
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordered one today

Thanks for the writeup. Ordered one today along with the Air Force tranny stick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JESCustomAccents Oil Temp Gauge