Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Navigation interface - Front AUX still needed.

I spent some BIG BUCKS on the following
1. Zumo 665 - $860
2. Navigation interface - $120
3. Ipod interface - $330

I bought the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) thinking that it would allow me to listen to the XM and MP3 player without using the front AUX port.

WRONG!

From the looks of it, I'll still have to run a wire into the front AUX port.

Here is the description from the HD site:

Road Tech™ Navigation Interface Module

Available exclusively for Harley-Davidson® Road Tech™ zumo Navigation Systems. The Navigation Interface Module will provide an integrated link between the fairing-mounted Advanced Audio Radio and a Road Tech™ zumo 660 or 665 GPS Navigator. When linked, the music volume will automatically drop when a GPS spoken command is detected, allowing you to hear the command through the radio speakers or the 7-pin communications-style headset. The module attaches directly to the radio, is concealed within the fairing, and does not require connection to the "AUX" input on the radio faceplate, allowing you to listen to a portable music device through your auxiliary input. Kit includes adaptor cable that permits stereo sound from the zuÂŻmo's internal MP3 player or XM® Radio.

From this description, it sounds like I shouldn't have to use the AUX port.

However, the kit comes with a splitter cable but there is nowhere to hook it up. I'm lost at this point.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

EDIT - I found an audio cable in the ZUMO box that plugs into the splitter and into the front AUX port.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 10-06-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Default Answer found!

I'm not too happy about the answer I found.

I thought I was going to avoid using a wire into the front AUX port.

WRONG!

In order to listen to the ZUMO XM and MP3 player, a wire to the AUX port is required.

Now I'm considering a mod to my radio to install a AUX plug in the back.

Does anyone know if that is being done on the new HD radios?

I don't really know why but I hate that wire in the AUX port. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Steve

Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well.......I have a 660, and the fairing mount on a 2010...to hear it thru the bike speakers, it has to be plugged into the aux port.

As far as the Ipod goes? I had my Ipod on a handlebar mount....then I discovered that the new system will recognize a DVD loaded with music, provided it is created as a data disk.

I put nearly 500 songs on just 3 discs. I use the CD player now, and took the Ipod off.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 AM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson

WRONG!

In order to listen to the ZUMO XM and MP3 player, a wire to the AUX port is required.

I don't really know why but I hate that wire in the AUX port. Maybe I'm just being too picky.

Steve
The folks in the link below do them for $65 I believe:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 AM
PowerFactor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI Topeka
....then I discovered that the new system will recognize a DVD loaded with music, provided it is created as a data disk.
Woah, really?? How new? Never tried burning a DVD full of mp3s just because I assumed the HK radio wouldn't be able to read it. That sure would be awesome...

Last edited by PowerFactor; 10-06-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

THanks for this heads up. I had thought about purchasing the cable kit also. Not now. I will just modify my aux port to the back and plug in there. Currently have a cable coming from the the fairing and into the HK aux port. As far as running aux, I get my mp3's and talk to turn, cb will break, and intercom works fine. If I am not using my GPS, I switch to CD as I have a ton of mp3's on a disk. Radio reception just sucks and trying to find a channel while riding is a big distraction.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlibert
The folks in the link below do them for $65 I believe:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html
Thanks for the link. I pulled my stereo today and I'm sending it to them to have the rear AUX installed.

I'm installing my 665 with all the wires hidden so it just makes sense to hide the AUX hook-up.

I'm using a Kuryakyn fuel door mount and hiding all the wiring inside the tank console.

FULL INSTALL PICS WILL FOLLOW LATER.

Steve

Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Digger53
Cruiser

WRONG!

Steve
Steve,

Check with these folks they have what your looking for. You won't need to use the Aux port with their hook up.

http://www.cellset.com/harley.html

Digger
Camas, WA
2007 UC

Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

[quote=sifularson;7376893]Here is the description from the HD site:

Available exclusively for Harley-Davidson® Road Tech™ zumo Navigation Systems. The Navigation Interface Module will provide an integrated link between the fairing-mounted Advanced Audio Radio and a Road Tech™ zumo 660 or 665 GPS Navigator. When linked, the music volume will automatically drop when a GPS spoken command is detected, allowing you to hear the command through the radio speakers or the 7-pin communications-style headset. The module attaches directly to the radio, is concealed within the fairing, and does not require connection to the "AUX" input on the radio faceplate, allowing you to listen to a portable music device through your auxiliary input. Kit includes adaptor cable that permits stereo sound from the zuÂŻmo's internal MP3 player or XM® Radio.

Steve,

The description says the Zumo will play music using the adaptor cable; and directions will play without the cable.

Here's a lengthy thread from another forum on your issue:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52242.150

When you send Iron Cross Audio the unit, consider having them add the pre-amp outputs to the HK head unit if you may add an amp to your system. I'm not an audiophile, but I wish I had done this when ICA added the rear AUX connector since I'll add a four-channel amp when Arc or J&M have one that will fit in a EG fairing and would prefer to avoid the distortion from the HK speaker outputs.

Carl

Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 AM
CIII
Intermediate

I spent some BIG BUCKS on the following
1. Zumo 665 - $860
2. Navigation interface - $120
3. Ipod interface - $330

I bought the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) thinking that it would allow me to listen to the XM and MP3 player without using the front AUX port.

WRONG!

From the looks of it, I'll still have to run a wire into the front AUX port.

Here is the description from the HD site:

From this description, it sounds like I shouldn't have to use the AUX port.

However, the kit comes with a splitter cable but there is nowhere to hook it up. I'm lost at this point.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

EDIT - I found an audio cable in the ZUMO box that plugs into the splitter and into the front AUX port.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
sifularson, so what is the point of the Road Tech™ Navigation Interface Module?

Quick Reply: Navigation interface