Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil overfilling

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil overfilling

While doing a service on my bike some months back, I pulled off the clutch cover and about a third of a quart of oil came out. I made a mental note to keep an eye on it.

I've checked the primary oil level a few times since and everything seemed okay, but after the latest engine oil and filter change, I noticed it was shifting hard like it had when it was overfilled. I pulled the cover and yep, it was overfilled. Somehow, from somewhere, oil is getting into my primary.

A little background: I use the service manual for the 5k and 10k services and fluid levels. The only deviation is that I change the engine oil at 3k miles. The bike is a 2009 FLHTCU with 30630 miles on the odometer.

I suspect a seal is failing behind the stator?

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your engine oil level going down? Are you changing the primary oil and checking it upright? If so, how much oil are you putting in?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

I haven't noticed the engine oil going down, but 6 ounces less in the engine is a lot less noticeable than 6 more in the primary.

Primary oil gets changed when the service calls for it, I do check it with the bike upright on a lift, and I'm adding the called-for 38 fluid ounces of oil, bringing it to the bottom portion of the clutch assembly as indicated by the manual.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's weird. Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Last edited by krazy3; 10-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

I'm confident it's not coming from the transmission, and I know I'm not overfilling it, so that only leaves one thing... it's gotta be coming from the engine.

The question is how.

I should also add that the primary gets ridiculously hot, and I don't remember that happening on my Softail.

I need to figure out how to explain this to the shop. I would rather have it fixed under warranty now instead of waiting around for it to completely fail after the warranty has expired.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say get it to the dealership and tell them exactly what you told us. Let us know what they find.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies, I think NoCoLoco is right, I'll discuss this with the service department and take it from there.

I'll post the outcome.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced

Update:

I talked to the service manager today, he agrees it is probably the crankshaft seal. I have an appointment for next Friday and he says it's covered by the warranty.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:42 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by OklahomaSam
Update:

I talked to the service manager today, he agrees it is probably the crankshaft seal. I have an appointment for next Friday and he says it's covered by the warranty.
Seems like it would be a good idea to remove the derby cover before draining the primary fluid. This way a leak might be discovered early on.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Seems like it would be a good idea to remove the derby cover before draining the primary fluid. This way a leak might be discovered early on.
It's such a good idea they even put it in the manual.

Quick Reply: Primary oil overfilling