Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problems??

Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 PM
2CMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems??

Need some advice here. Went for a ride today, and ran into several issues. First, I have a HD brake light turn signal module installed, on my 08 FLHX. First, the turn signals appeared brighter than normal, like the brake was on, when it wasnt. Second, my cruise control kept disengaging every time I hit a small bump, then stopped working completely. Later however, it started working again after I had turned the main switch off for a while. Third, as I arrived home about dusk, my headlight and aux passing lamps arent on and wont come on. I'm waiting for the bike to cool down so I can check the fuse box for a blown fuse, but I somehow think this whole issue has somethng to do with that Brake light/turn signal module... Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had similar problems, with brake and cruise on my 08UC. Found the wiring running to the rear brake switch was shorting out between the engine and frame. (about 3in in front of the rear brake switch). Kept blowing fuses till I found the problem.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd pull the seat and remove the run/brake/turn signal module and connect the original wiring. That'll tell you if that's the problem, I think.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
2CMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked at the fuses this am and no problem there, started the bike up and everything works fine, like there was never anything wrong. Didnt actually try the cruise yet. Will pull out the brake turn module next to see what happens. Called the local dealer, only one to chose from as the other 3 have closed down in the past six months, and they want the bike for several days to look into the problem. The only thing worse than an electrical problem is an intermittant electrical problem !!

Old 10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check the battery ground. It is probable that the ground was disconnected when the brake unit was installed and it may not have been put back properly

Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

If the brake light is sticking on and your cruise isn't working, suspect one of the brake switches. Recently went through this on mine and replaced the rear switch.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a PC V, it was causing my cruise to kick off. Water I think.
I also had an electrical problem in the trunk, found wires chaffed on the metal plate under the liner.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the same issue and it the rear brake light switch.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Freebee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09' had a shorted rear brake light switch, it literally fried (melted) the connector plug.
The dealer in Ft.Worth said that they have had "Quite a Few" bad ones lately. Although mines's an 09' It might be worth a look ?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebee
My 09' had a shorted rear brake light switch, it literally fried (melted) the connector plug.
The dealer in Ft.Worth said that they have had "Quite a Few" bad ones lately. Although mines's an 09' It might be worth a look ?
Exactly what happened to mine and once it shorted it started to leak hydraulic fluid, stupid design. First the cruise control was going on the fritz and the following day the switch shorted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Problems??