Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signs of lean running??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2011 RGU and dealer told me no remap needed with just slip ons. I ran that way for a while and no issues. I put a SE air cleaner on and two different dealers told me no issues. One person on the inside said that stock ecm will get very close with this set up, not give you 100% maximum performance but very close and close enogh not to do any harm. closed loop is at around 14.3-14.4 and open loop is ~12.8 (WOT) etc. Plugs look good and never had a single ping. 3000 miles so far. I am going to do a SEPST but for now exremely happy with how it runs.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what I was expecting to hear, honestly. I doubt an air cleaner and a set of slipon exhausts will put the factory ECU out of it's range of correction authority. Did your "in the inside" guy work for Harley? I'd guess all you'll really lose is some tip-in performance and won't have the extended rev limiter.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

We have developed a simple test for determining whether a stock HD is running lean:

1. Turn ignition switch on (be sure fob is within five fee of bike if security system present)
2. Turn kill switch to "Run" position; wait until engine light goes off
3. Press "Start" button
4. If motor starts and exhaust makes noise, engine is running lean

Just kidding (but not really). All HD's run lean from the factory and performance can be enhanced with an aftermarket fuel controller.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 AM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

if you change to a hi flow air cleaner, and add slip-ons,,you increased the air flow,,and have a very good chance of running lean,,,I use a vance & hines fuel pac,,,works great,,good insurance for a couple hundred bucks....and cheaper than a fried engine,,

Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The voltage the ECM is expecting from the O2 sensors are static without a device to change them i.e. XIEDs/SEPST, etc.
The calculation of A/F is based on the VE tables and voltage from the O2 sensors in the ECM. When you change the air cleaner you are changing the VE, and adjustments need to be made so that your computer can actually get to 14.x:1.
Just because your computer's A/F tables are set to closed loop doesn't mean it is going to make it run at the projected mixture. Like I said there are several variables that have to match up, and if you add air and remove more exhaust then you are going to run leaner than you think, and that is not good. You need away to see what your motor is doing, and adjust the engine for efficiency and for reliability. You cannot rely on a closed system to work for you when you change a component of that system. Doesn't work that way.

This is very vague, and I am still learning, but I don't think I am very far off. I cannot scientifically tell you the exact science, but you should be able to understand what I am saying.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I am comfortable enough with the information that I got not to worry. These are big investments and a person has to be comfortable with his/her choices. I think if a person has any concerns at all with running too lean they should get a tuner.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:59 PM
My Fix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tuner !

If you want one , put it on there . but it will run just fine without it ! And no risk in hurting your motor ! I have a 2010 streetglide with dresser duals , 4 " rineharts and se heavy breather ! And noe fuel management ! The auto-tune gets very close to where it should be . I DO NOT HAVE ANY KIND OF POPING GIRGLING ECT ! I live in houston ,Tx and I have seen 230 degrees once sitting in traffic , even the parade mode did not kick in ! I have also check my plugs , by choppin the throttle . PLUGS LOOK THE SAME WAY THEY WERE WHEN I BOUGHT IT NEW . . . . . .

Old 10-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Blackheat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure and need help with remembering the color of the plugs so please correct me.
I think you want your plugs to look a little like chocolate that means running right
Too white means to lean.
Too dark means too rich.

Attached Thumbnails Signs of lean running??-bike-10-16-2010.jpg  
Old 10-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by My Fix
If you want one , put it on there . but it will run just fine without it ! And no risk in hurting your motor ! I have a 2010 streetglide with dresser duals , 4 " rineharts and se heavy breather ! And noe fuel management ! The auto-tune gets very close to where it should be . I DO NOT HAVE ANY KIND OF POPING GIRGLING ECT ! I live in houston ,Tx and I have seen 230 degrees once sitting in traffic , even the parade mode did not kick in ! I have also check my plugs , by choppin the throttle . PLUGS LOOK THE SAME WAY THEY WERE WHEN I BOUGHT IT NEW . . . . . .
How can you say "no risk of hurting your motor"?

It runs lean to start with, and (you and) he made it even leaner.
There is large risk! If you think there ain't, then take the risk.
But don't advise others to do foolish stuff.

BTW: Plug reading ain't gonna tell you a lot on these newer injected bikes, unless they are way rich. That you ain't gonna see until you start adding fuel.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-17-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
I am comfortable enough with the information that I got not to worry. These are big investments and a person has to be comfortable with his/her choices. I think if a person has any concerns at all with running too lean they should get a tuner.
Do you mean, when in doubt, take a safer approach? Cuz it's a big investment?

That would make too much sense!

Quick Reply: Signs of lean running??