Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:40 AM
rickdesign
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to yank the tank to install this thing? Harley doesn't allow downloadable instructions for this item on their site.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdesign
Do you have to yank the tank to install this thing? Harley doesn't allow downloadable instructions for this item on their site.
you don't have to, but the directions do have you doing it in order to run the main hot wire from the battery up to the front. when i installed it on the wife's bike, we just took the rear mount bolt out and tilted the tank up to run the wire.

she likes hers fine. but, at 70mph plus, depending on your exhaust (she has rineharts) and wind direction (crosswinds are noisier), you will lose some of the sound.

for input, she is using a sansa clip 4gb mp3 player. this is a good little player and it has a micro sd slot to increase the capacity. plus, this player has one function that a lot don't. if you put the player on shuffle, it will shuffle between the internal memory and the external. a lot of expandable mp3 players will not do that. have a piece of velcro stuck to the handlebars right next to the riser cover.

if you don't have tunes, and you want them, it is worth it. especially if you order it from zanottis, chd, etc. for 20% off. if you are just going to use it on the highway though, you might want to look for something with some power and bigger speakers (and the price tag to match)

Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Make a video so we can hear what they sound like. Here are my J&M speakers on my ride...
I discount all J&M products every day. I'd love to get a set of these next to my bike for a comparison...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ftn7yqCXig

Drew

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I installed a set yesterday on a buddies fatboy. Pretty easy install but we did have to make some changes to get it to fit on the fatboy windshield and to be able to fit with his street slammer bars. Didn't need to remove tank, just threaded the wires with the tank still on. We couldn't internally wire the volume switches because there's no way to take the wire apart from the amp and the switch with out cutting wires or opening the volume switch but it still looks OK. The bracket on the speakers are removable so we took it off and were able to thread one of the bracket holes to be able to screw the center windshield screw into the speaker so it's attached and then the street slammers hold the bottom of the speaks to they are not going anywhere. The way we installed it the windshield is still detachable. My buddy already had the tank pouch that installs between the seat and tank so we ran the ipod cable under his speedo so he can connect and leave his ipod in that tank pouch, he will have to use the shuffle or just let it play. I wasn't to impressed with the over all sound, he has V&H big radius pipes and they drown the speakers pretty bad. I'm sure at highway speeds he will not be able to hear them to well but we have not been able to try them out yet. I'll get some pics when we go to try them out, sorry to post without the pics!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear they worked for you. I bought the ones that mount separately (HD boom audio speakers), they suck! you cannot hear the damn things over the exhaust (thunderheader) you're lucky if you can guess the song playing (time killing game for the road I guess). Perhaps the windshield creates an acoustic shelter for your tunes in the other setup... They are other setups (such as the ones that the Dr is rollin') that will work great. Harley's are "pretty", period.

Word of advise (1st hand) don't get these!!!!:

Mimo.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
fatboy457
Stage I
Default Boom Audio Windshield Speaker

The Boom Audio Windshield Speaker is kick ***, sounds real good even on the freeway, just installed last thursday and all my buddies want one now Looks real good on bike too, a little tip, I bought a ipod nano 8 gb with the FM transmitter in it and it works great, FM and ipod music too.....

Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you know what the output rating is for these speakers?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Sandtrap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Boom audio windshield mount cruiser speaker & amp

I recently purchased the Boom audio windshield mount speaker and amp kit for my 2006 Road King classic. I had been in the market for a speaker system shortly after purchasing the bike new 4.5 years ago. I was hesitiant on pulling the trigger for some of the other handlebar mounted speaker systems offered by Kuryakn, J&M, and Cycle Sounds to name a few. They seem rather pricey for what they offered. Figure the $ could be put towards a Dragonfly Fairing. I'm glad I waited !! Although the HD boom audio system cost $400. I feel it's worth it. My primary reason for deciding to pull the trigger on this units are the integrated looks of the windshield mounted system and the handlebar mounted volume control and power switch. I was hopeful that Harley would have decided to make the control switch in chrome or an option to mount the volume control on the left handlebar and place in the supplemental 2011 parts catelog. However they did not. Soon I will install the speaker unit, amp and volume control. I'll have the dealership complete the wiring into the wiring harness since I don't have the tools and not comfortable with that step. I'll post pictures and a video within the next week.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King-img_0961.jpg  

Last edited by Sandtrap; 02-23-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM
bucket772
Cruiser

Subscribed for pics and more info. I'm torn between the Uniq Cycle speakers and the windshield mount HD kit. I like the integrated looks, but if the speakers are crap and the amp is under powered then it's an awful expensive speaker case. There are other options.

Ugh. Decisions, decisions, decisions

Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
RoadRob10
Stage II

Pics mounted on heritage softail

Attached Thumbnails Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King-s7300386.jpg   Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King-s7300387.jpg  

Quick Reply: Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King