Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNA Mammoth Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
spacekowboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DNA Mammoth Wheels

Has anyone had any problems with these wheels? I have a friend that bought the 18" Mammoth and had problems with them keeping air (tubeless) his misforutune has kept me and a couple of other guys from getting their 21".

Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been alot of reviews on these rims in the softail forum. Most are negative and I think Dr. V-twin even stopped carrying them cause of the complaints and poor customer service.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:46 PM
spacekowboy
Tourer

From what i've heard the 60 or 80 spoke wheels seem to be alright, just something about the fat spoke. . A friend of mine ended up running tubes in his. I was just wondering if he just got a bad wheel or if this is the norm for that size spoke. Anyone have any issues with the regular sized spokes?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Sublime1
Cruiser

They're inexpensive and you truly get what you pay for.

At their price, you can buy 2, and have a spare around. LOL...

No seriously, some of the tubeless apps are not so great, and there's really no great advantage to running tubeless other than a minor temperature reduction. and a small weight reduction.

I have seen at least 6 - 8 of these in person and they were all super nice wheels.

Again, most of the issues were reported that the nipples weren't sealed well, and the tires leaked.

Which is solved by running a tube. (the argument "but they're advertised as tubeless" is Moot).

They just aren't real super high end.

As for the customer service issues, if you have a legit warranty issue like flaking chrome, or a defective hub or something, that would be the one thing that would worry me.

Before you buy, get someone on the phone and ask flat out "how do I obtain warranty claim assistance"...

Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran them for 2 years about 16k or so on my roadstar, no leaks or any problems - i was on my 2nd set of tires. but i have heard their customer service is something else... if you instrested in fat spokes, but costr a bit more check out http://www.ridewrightwheels.com/

Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I've ran dna mammoth spoke 16" wheels and have had no issues with the quality of the rims, as far as running tubeless all tubeless spoked rims can leak and on any spoked rim it is best to run a tube, the problem is not the sealant on the spokes but the valve stems, on mags the valve stem is placed on a flat area of the rim and gets a good seal, on spoke rims because of the design there is no perfectly flat area to put the valve stem so they do not get as good of a seal, if you leave the valve stem to loose or over tighten it , it will leak, my opinion is to always run tubes with any spoke rim, by the way I have seen this same issue with rrw and american classic wheels

Attached Thumbnails DNA Mammoth Wheels-2hd-011.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

this picture shows the valve stem location, on a mag wheel the valve stem is usually on top of the rim (where the spokes are) , on spoked rims it can't go there because of the spokes so they put it on the little flat area where the rims rolls over or transitions, which isn't a very large flat area, again this is true with all spoke rims

Attached Thumbnails DNA Mammoth Wheels-2hd-003.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im almost positive on my 21" the stem was in the center, but my spokes would be more spread apart due the larger dia.

edit: actually now i think about they where, it was in the center and the rear was like yours (it was a 16") offset

Last edited by slothy; 10-18-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

21 would be on top 16 & 18 are usually offset and that is the problem with getting a good valve stem seal
Originally Posted by slothy
im almost positive on my 21" the stem was in the center, but my spokes would be more spread apart due the larger dia.

edit: actually now i think about they where, it was in the center and the rear was like yours (it was a 16") offset

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Dmore1623
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tj316
I've ran dna mammoth spoke 16" wheels and have had no issues with the quality of the rims, as far as running tubeless all tubeless spoked rims can leak and on any spoked rim it is best to run a tube, the problem is not the sealant on the spokes but the valve stems, on mags the valve stem is placed on a flat area of the rim and gets a good seal, on spoke rims because of the design there is no perfectly flat area to put the valve stem so they do not get as good of a seal, if you leave the valve stem to loose or over tighten it , it will leak, my opinion is to always run tubes with any spoke rim, by the way I have seen this same issue with rrw and american classic wheels

I realize this post is a few years old haha but the pic of the blue bike is that a 16" wheel? thinking about putting an 18 on mine but wasnt sure if id see much of the wheel with dual rotors.....that wheel doesnt lookbad tho

Quick Reply: DNA Mammoth Wheels