Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter To Harley Davidson CEO Keith Wendell

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Letter To Harley Davidson CEO Keith Wendell

I just read a copy of a letter that a true friend of mine is sending to the CEO of Harley. He is going to keep me posted on the status of how far it gets. I have posted a copy of the letter below. Keep in mind he rides his Ultra very respectfully and does not hot dog it or anything. I responded to my friend with a comment maybe he has a lemon, or is the quality of Harley decreasing due to the economy? I own a 2005 RK with 40K miles that has been running pristine since I have bought it (knock on wood). I do all my own fluid changes with synthetic oils and most other work. I hope that he gets some kind of response or compensation. I know that things go wrong all the time with our bikes.....just look at all the threads. After all these things are mechanical.

Letter from October 21, 2010

Mr. Keith E. Wandell
President and CEO
Harley Davidson
3700 W. Juneau Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53208

Dear Mr. Wandell,

In 2008 I retired from Abbott Laboratories’s Sr. Management team. During my career I had the privilege, to not only work for a great company, but the current CEO, Miles White and Bob Parkinson, now current CEO of Baxter. There are several things I learned while working for them: QUALITY is #1 and listening to your customers is VERY important.

I have owned Harley’s most of my life and many of my friends and former colleagues would say “I’m a very passionate Harley owner”. My wife and I attend many rallies and I’m actively involved with our local HOG Chapter in Charleston, SC and I’d like to think I’m a great ambassador for your company.

I bring this to your attention as I start to worry about the quality of the motorcycles being manufactured and especially the one I currently own. I’ve had numerous Harley Davidson Motorcycles (2003 Heritage Springer, 2006 Ultra Classic and now a 2009 Ultra Classic) over the past years. My newest bike was purchased in 2/2009 here in Charleston, SC. I spend a large portion of my retirement time riding my bike and I currently have 23,000 miles on my 2009. Over the past months strange things have started to go wrong with my bike, and with the most recent series of quality issues, I think it is time to reach out to you.

Vin #1HD1FC4179Y64****
Purchased: 2/12/2009
Serviced at two locations, due to part time living in SC & OH:

Low Country Harley Davidson
4707 Dorchester Rd
Charleston, SC 29405

AD Farrows Harley Davidson
7754 SR 37 IS 36E
Sunbury, OH 43074

My out of pocket maintenance costs: $2863
Accessories cost on 2009: $4100

My 2009 FLHTCU Ultra Classic Motorcycle history:

10-20-2010 (23,000 miles) Low Country HD
  • Rattle in front fork (replace (2) front bearings)
  • Front brake making loud noise – replaced front caliper (told this was very strange)
  • Clanking sound in starter - will replace at 25,000 mile service the compensator?? I’m told the factory installed one is not as strong as it should be and must be replaced and rebuild the starter with screaming eagle parts. The dealership led me to believe that this is a problem that is starting to grow. They had 4 bikes in with same problem.

9-14-2010 (21,582 miles) AD Farrows HD
  • Oil leak from bottom of engine on garage floor - replaced inner primary seals
  • I have NEVER had bike leak oil and won’t own one that does!

8-31-2010 (20,458) AD Farrows HD
  • 20K service
  • Replace rear tire
6-15-2010 (15,425 miles) AD Farrows HD
§ 15K service
§ Front tire replaced (Farrows told me it was recall, Low Country told me it wasn’t recall, but HD would replace, due to tread wear, if it was causing vibration)

4-2-2010 (12,248 miles) Low Country HD
  • Tour pack passenger backrest comes loose with broken isolator …Replaced isolator kit

1-14-2010 (9,935 miles) Low Country HD
  • 10k service
  • Factory recall on gas tank (rubber washers installed)
  • Fluid leak from front master cylinder

7-28-2009 (5466 miles) AD Farrows HD
  • 5K Service
  • Rear shocks loosing air pressure
  • Bike breaks down 100 miles from home and had to be towed. After market part installed (Power Commander) and fuses blown on fuel injector

3-11-2009 Low Country HD
  • 1K service
  • Numerous accessories added by dealership
I’m concerned on the most recent series of events and nature of repair taking place on my bike. I sense frustration by your repair technicians with the extent of these problems (brake caliper replacement and compensator/starter rebuild).

My goal is to make you aware of these problems and hope that someone is looking into the quality of several of these parts. It is very frustrating to pay so much money for a motorcycle and have as many problems as I’ve had with this 2009. My 2006 Ultra did not have any of the problems I’ve had with this bike………..

As loyal as I’ve been to Harley Davidson I’m torn between trying a Goldwing……….My heart says no, but the extent of poor quality and service issues with this bike tells me to look at all metric models before I buy again……………

Sincerely yours,

Last edited by MrHog; 10-21-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Your "friend" is aware that his bike was under warranty and he should have paid for nothing other than maintenance and tires, right?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by '05Train
Your "friend" is aware that his bike was under warranty and he should have paid for nothing other than maintenance and tires, right?
I would say so. He stated he spent $2800 on maintenance (regular service intervals, fluid changes and tires) $4100 on upgraded accessories. I think the point is he has taken care of this bike by the book and has nothing, but problems. The issue that would chap my *** is being towed on a new bike after breaking down or maybe it's a toss up coming out to the garage in the morning with oil all over the floor below the bike.

Also, no one is trying to degrade Harley here! We our all true Harley riders and would ride nothing else. Just concerned with the quality of the parts and the quality of service since the economy has declined the past decade.

Last edited by MrHog; 10-21-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

1+ warrenty

This stuff sounds normal to me.I look at it as a reason to upgrade(smiles).

Compareing Abbott to HD is a streatch lol

Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck to your friend!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM
cezariomaia
Cruiser

Mr. Hog: You, in the United States are lucky customers. You have tires, conpensators bearings and other parts replaced free of charge. HD has an assembly line in Brazil, and never ever someone could contact them. I never heard of a defective HD part was replaced free. My 2009 Electra Glide must have the gas tank recall, HD NEVER did it to mine or any other bike. Defective bearings is common place in almost every model and have to be replaced by Tinken bearings made in France with as low as 3k km. It's frustrating to see a dream of a life turns in a nigthmare. I do not sell my bike just because no one wants to buy it. It's value is the same as a used shoe. I'll go for a Japanese bike and use the Electra only in weekends around town.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure that letter will alter Keith's life.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
Mr. Hog: You, in the United States are lucky customers. You have tires, conpensators bearings and other parts replaced free of charge. HD has an assembly line in Brazil, and never ever someone could contact them. I never heard of a defective HD part was replaced free. My 2009 Electra Glide must have the gas tank recall, HD NEVER did it to mine or any other bike. Defective bearings is common place in almost every model and have to be replaced by Tinken bearings made in France with as low as 3k km. It's frustrating to see a dream of a life turns in a nigthmare. I do not sell my bike just because no one wants to buy it. It's value is the same as a used shoe. I'll go for a Japanese bike and use the Electra only in weekends around town.
BooHoo

Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cezariomaia
True! That is why he hasn't got rid of the bike. He loves the bike and enjoys to ride.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I'm sure that letter will alter Keith's life.
Exactly! If he even read the letter, wouldn' even faze him.

Quick Reply: Letter To Harley Davidson CEO Keith Wendell