Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splash Back When Refuelling 6 Gallon Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
tmoreau
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splash Back When Refuelling 6 Gallon Tank

I just upgraded from a 2007 FLHTCU (5 gal tank) to a 2011 FLHTK (6 gal tank). I notice a lot of splash-back when I refuel, due to the new design of the filler neck. No matter what I do or where I get gas, the result is the same. I have tried using the minimum pressure possible on the nozzle trigger but no joy. Also, it seems like I need a bazillion small squirts when its nearly full, just to top it off. With the '07, it was pretty easy to do it in one go.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have a solution?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes...as far as "topping off". No as far as splash back....never had that problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

2010 RK 6 gal tank... no issues with either... but Calif has those stupid boots around the nozzle. To top off, I simply hold the boot up with one hand, put the nozzle just past the inside collar, don't squeeze the handle all the way... flows continuously until I stop it. Been that way for my two previous bikes as well.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Yea h mine is a pain sometimes with splash back too. The steeler has a device for this but then you have to stow it some where. I`m all ears for a good solution.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

I hate splash back! Has any body tried this item? http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US If it works, it worth every dime.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got one of those, and notice it works the same on the new SG's tank as it did my softail and the wife's dyna.

That is, it either works fine or not at all....depending on how far you compress those silly boots down.

Compress it all the way, works like a charm.
Compress it just enough to let you start filling up, I get splashback.
Best thing is like they say: don't squeeze the handle to "full speed". Just enough to flow slowly, and it won't be a problem.

My biggest problem is the flip-up cover plate and getting a good angle. I ended up automatically going with holding the whole thing upside down and using the funnel thing, which I now keep in my saddlebags all the time.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
KING'S RIDE
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_W
I hate splash back! Has any body tried this item? http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US If it works, it worth every dime.

Ride safe,

Bob.
I actually have one of these except its not the Harley product. Its called the McCuff. Works great. before, I kept a rag in my bag that I would use as a buffer between the gas boot and tank. my bag would smell like gas and so would anything else I put in there. I aslo used to pull the boot up on the nozzel, but that resulted in the occasional spill, and no one wants to get gas on their paint.

The McCuff aleviated both of these problems, and also avoids any scratches you get around the gas hole from the boot.

I reccomend it to any one. the space between the boot and actual fill spout allows you to fill your tank up to the exact point where the fill cup inside the tank is. <---- don't know if i explained that right.

and as an earlier post mentioned you have to be sure to compress the boot completly and use the slow setting of the gas fill.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
tmoreau
Tourer

I have an H-D version of the McCuff. I started using it with the 2007 FLHTCU. Eventually, I figured out that the secret behind it was that it acted as a spacer, just keeping the nozzle high enough that you get a full fill when the nozzle clicks. I then figured out how high the nozzle has to be and then went without the McCuff. I'll start using the McCuff again and see how things pan out.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just take it easy or if you can't put gas in your tank find a full serve gas station or your dealer will do it for $100 a tank....I have a 6 gallon tank and not a problem

Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 PM
tmoreau
Tourer

Originally Posted by caberto
2010 RK 6 gal tank... no issues with either... but Calif has those stupid boots around the nozzle. To top off, I simply hold the boot up with one hand, put the nozzle just past the inside collar, don't squeeze the handle all the way... flows continuously until I stop it. Been that way for my two previous bikes as well.
We don't have those boots up here. Haven't seen them in NY state, either. Just curious - how far into the inside collar do you go? The pinhole on the nozzle - is that above or below the collar?

Quick Reply: Splash Back When Refuelling 6 Gallon Tank