Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide front end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roadglide front end wobble

Anyone find a solution to the handlebar shake when you let go of the handlebars between 40-50mph other than not taking your hands off the bars? No other bike or vehical i own or have owned shakes unless something is wrong. Checked swing/tire pressure/balance. Three owners of 2010-11 road glides i know say they have the wobble/ shake. Don't feel a thing holding the handlebars but lift your hands at a little above or below 45 on decel and your bumming.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:14 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
Anyone find a solution to the handlebar shake when you let go of the handlebars between 40-50mph other than not taking your hands off the bars? No other bike or vehical i own or have owned shakes unless something is wrong. Checked swing/tire pressure/balance. Three owners of 2010-11 road glides i know say they have the wobble/ shake. Don't feel a thing holding the handlebars but lift your hands at a little above or below 45 on decel and your bumming.
I had the same problem with my '10. Dealer took care of it when I had it in there for the fuel tank recall. Didn't really ask them what they did, just know that it doesn't do it any more.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default wobble

Do a search on this, there is a service bulletin telling that the manual procedure is now considered wrong and that 2 swings of the hbars is now the right way to adjust. I think service bulletin no. is m1246.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering head fall away

Originally Posted by dgoodbmw
Do a search on this, there is a service bulletin telling that the manual procedure is now considered wrong and that 2 swings of the hbars is now the right way to adjust. I think service bulletin no. is m1246.
I have the new service manual and undid my clutch cable not even 1.5 swings. It tells you to pull your bars all the way to the let stop and let them go. If you pull them to the right and let them go you get a way different swing -less can't figure that out. The only way that the dealers could be correcting this is tightening the fall away much tighter than the service manual says from what i can figure. I made the stupid looking adjuster tool and am waiting to hear for sure what to tighten it to. This is an irritating repair to get info on.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

its common on th 09/11 bikes above 50 it don't do it at all..... WEIRD

Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine did it when new, the dealer ended up adjusting the steering head bearings after checking out wheel balance, alignment etc. Took care of it. It usually means the fork bearings are too loose. Im about to do a softail adjustment today.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:24 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Dealer adjusted my 10 RG under warrenty. According to the wrench it is the steering head bearings. There is a service bulletin out on this. It fixed mine for about 1,000 miles then had to have them do it again, now no issues. They also, checked out the tires for wear, tire balance and wheel bearings. It is a fairly occuring problem on 09/10 RG;s. I have not talked to anyone if it is occurring on the 11's.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

All bikes can get it, when it happens on a new bike the person that made the adjustment at build or at dealer prep was unqualified to do it correctly, and the onus is on the customer to complain or take care of it out of their own pocket. Same with frame/wheel alignment.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Fishmac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2011 Road Glide Ultra. Took it for my first ride today ... Had the wobble but didn't know I was "supposed" to have one. Googled it and here I am. Granted, I'm kinda pissed about it (and about the chrome cover on my fuel "door" flying off onto the asphalt during my ride) but you pay this much for a vehicle, it should be right - and I'm sure I shouldn't let go of the handlebar either ... Also getting pops when revving the engine (Bassani slip-on, HD Stage 1 air cleaner and the mysterious "download"). Granted it was like 35 degrees but it was doing it in the service department when I would visit too.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like steering head bearings are properly adjusted. Chassis/drivetrain alignment can also influence front end wobble. Whats the condition of your suspension? lowered front or back? OEM front springs?

Quick Reply: Roadglide front end wobble