Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two clunks? What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Two clunks? What's up with that?

Been riding without a helmet lately (I know, I know - that's a subject for a different thread), and am just getting used to all the miscellaneous noises that I haven't heard before from my 09 Ultra. One clunk when I shift gears - that one I understand, clunky transmission typical of a Harley. But what's with the 2nd clunk when releasing the clutch lever? That one's got me a little concerned. Just had my 10,000 mi. service which included clutch adjustment, but have heard the 2nd clunk before that anyway. Sounds like it's on the left side, same general area as the first shifter clunk. Is that normal, or any ideas what I should be checking?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 AM
gbinman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my recent move from a 03' FLTR to a '11 Ultra Limited, I noticed a big clunk (with helmet) that I didn't have or was much quieter on my FLTR. I think it is the compensator.

I found I could make the clunk also by rolling back on the throttle and then back on too.

I hope it's normal.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 AM
joe mayo
Cruiser

good question. i hear the same thing on my 09 and never heard the 2nd clunk on the 05.
i have not talked to the dealer about this yet

Old 10-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...likewise on the "clunks" both the 1rst and 2nd one ...most concerned and very noticed on the 2nd "clunk" (2010 Limited) when letting clutch out after shifting through each gear...
Never seemed to happen on my '05 Ultra.

Would certainly like to hear opinions on what this is?
... or if it happens to a lot of you out there?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the primary chain may need adjusting.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Primary chains have a self adjuster on 07 and later so there should be no adjustment. If I had to guess, I would say it is the compensator sprocket compressing its springs all the way when you let the clutch out. These 96" compensators seem to be no end of problems.

Supposedly the 2011 Touring models use the Screamin Eagle compensator but since Harley called it a "running change" it is possible early 11's don't have it. Or possibly it is only on the 103" engines? Who knows until you pull the primary cover and see for sure.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure don't sound like something that is supposed to be there.

I'll be following this thread to learn more about it.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:06 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

compensator!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
rjs1
6th Gear

I have a '10 RKC. Have the same double clunk going on. Have had it pretty much since day one. You aren't alone. Mine only does it when changing from 1st to 2nd. it just feels loose and sloppy. The bike only has 1500 miles on it now. The 2nd(and always less pronounced) clunk sometimes happens at the moment of shifting and, at other times, is slightly delayed and happens as I'm letting the clutch out. I'm a mechanical know-not but sure have learned lots on this forum. I'm just gonna have the SE compensator installed when I get a chance. Maybe that will cure all of my ill's(which includes the intermittent whirring/roaring sound from the left primary side as well as that damn ticking sound that I can't isolate). I'm just validating your concern. Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is slightly delayed and happens as I'm letting the clutch out.
Yeah, that does sound a bit like compensator.

(which includes the intermittent whirring/roaring sound from the left primary side
That sounds a little more like the tensioner adjusted itself too tight. Also not uncommon.

Quick Reply: Two clunks? What's up with that?