Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground problem on 2001 electra glide.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:46 PM
namuch
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground problem on 2001 electra glide.

I recently acquired a 2001 electra that the previous owner installed a biketronics retro radio kit into. It's been working until last night when the radio began switching off randomly.

I've troubleshot the problem down to a grounding issue, but what I can't figure out is if the problem is a busted biketronics BT1000 unit, or if the problem is in the radio wiring harness.

I don't have access to any wiring diagrams for this machine, and it seems that Harley decided not to use a straight black wire for ground on the radio harness that goes into the biketronics module.

I would like to have my stereo working for a ride tomorrow, and biketronics is closed on the weekends, so they are no help.

Anyone experience this issue with these kits? Or, if not, can anyone provide some insight on the pinout for the chassis radio harness, if I knew what the wires are there, then I might be able to find out if the ground break is in the chassis wiring for the radio or not..

Old 10-30-2010, 02:51 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a wiring diagram at the bottom of the list for a 2000, maybe that will help. Choose "technical articles" on the left of the page, then "big twin" from the right side of the next page.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ngpair=fr%7Cen

Last edited by peppi; 10-30-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it shutting off while riding down a bumpy road? A chassis ground might be loose somewhere in there.

Cale

Old 10-30-2010, 03:00 PM
namuch
Stage III

Thanks for the link peppi, but, unfortunately, that diagram excluded radio controls.
The harness in question comes out of the fairing with a 23-pin connector, and that one is not on the diagram.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM
namuch
Stage III

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
Was it shutting off while riding down a bumpy road? A chassis ground might be loose somewhere in there.

Cale
It appeared to start that way, and it might have contributed to the problem. But it still exists while the bike is not running or moving. My accessory grounds all appear to be fine, since it was those that I tapped into to test and verify the problem. But now I'm stuck on the radio wiring harness, since I don't have manuals available to me right now.