Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...

I originally posted this information in another thread but received a number of PMs about it...I thought it might make a good thread of its own.

I have a 2009 SG with 4,000 miles on the odometer that had recently developed a slight tick, knock, tap...hell, I don't know what it was (and I have lowers) that I was hearing from the compensator area in the primary. I had put a chrome inner primary kit on the bike when I first got it and after reading all of the posts on this subject I was convinced that I had not installed the compensator bolt properly. Probably just in my head...but I was not sure. I just know that this whole lower end is noisy as hell! My dealer said all was well...so what do I know? What I did know is that finding neutral was often a challenge and shifting into first from neutral made enough noise to wake the dead! But I love to tinker, tweak and wrench on my bike and don't have a problem jumping in and tearing stuff out to put in new and better components. And besides...I have the Fuel Moto 107' kit that I'm going to install in the next few weeks. I did not want to take a chance on any component in the drivetrain failing.

I swapped out the stock compensator and clutch assembly this past weekend. I installed the SE Compensator Kit (40274-08), the SE Performance Clutch Kit (37976-08) and SE Clutch Friction Disc Kit (37980-10). Did the work myself...very easy to do! Had to have the dealership to 'press' the stock clutch basket out and 'press' the new SE one in...cost $50.00 for shop time. Pulled the inner primary cover instead of 'trimming' the edges that would not allow the new SE unit to fit...used new bolts, gasket and starter o-ring when replacing. Filled the primary with Mobil 1 Racing 4T when I was all finished.

With the Service Manual for your model and the instruction/data sheets that come with the parts...you have everything you need (without stating the obvious of tools, mechanical knowledge and so on...). It is a little messy...but not complicated in the least! And there is so much information on this Forum that I make my HD Service Department look silly and have them scratching their heads sometimes. It's a good thing that my dealer is a 'top-notch, willing to listen and help' kind of dealership! BTW...a shameless plug for the guys and gals at Harley-Davidson of Pensacola!

I buy all of my 'significant' parts from Chicago Harley Davidson (and it does not hurt to call them to check on your order). They are great guys...but it never fails that something gets backordered from the MOCO that fouls me up! I usually start gathering my parts several months before I do something and make sure that I have everything on hand so I don't have to pick it up at MSRP plus tax at my local dealer!

37976-08...$199.96, 37980-10...$135.96, 40274-08...$199.96

Throw in a few gaskets and fluids, the labor for the 'press' work and you have another $100.00. So let's just say about $650.00 if you do it yourself.

I cannot believe the difference...it is staggering and truly the best $$$ I have spent to date on my Glide! It's like a different motorcycle! Shifts could not be smoother! The entire drivetrain feels heavier, firmer and more positive! No 'clunk' when shifting into first gear from neutral and neutral is always there when I'm looking for it! It just feels 'better' on the road! Took her for a 200 mile spin a few days ago...oh yea, that's the way it should feel and ride!

BTW...when I opened up the primary everything was fine. The compensator bolt was secure, no metal shavings, no slop...nothing!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...-img_1359.jpg   SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...-img_1394.jpg   SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...-img_1431.jpg   SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...-img_1441.jpg   SE Compensator and SE Clutch Upgrade...-img_1443.jpg  

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 PM
karter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm going in the same direction as you with the Fuelmoto 107 kit and have the SE compensator on order as of Friday .Hadn't given much thought to the clutch assembly other than it's another $350 to spend but it may well be worth it to replace everything while I've got the bike apart .
I also have the weird knocking noise coming from my primary cover, it's not real loud but there just the same .mine's an 09 RKC with 8600 miles on it . This bike is much more fun than my sportster, spent about 3k on the Sportster on suspension and motor up-grades . The RKC should litghen my wallet 3/4 k for similar results . Am I smart or what ?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the clutch lever hard to pull with that set up?

Old 10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by MBrown
Is the clutch lever hard to pull with that set up?
Yes...it could be a harder lever pull than stock, but it depends on where you set the spring force. The clutch is totally adjustable (based on rear wheel torque) from 52 ft-lbs to 200+ ft-lbs. I have mine adjusted for 100 ft-lbs and it is stiffer than stock, but still very manageable for me. I'm confident that you could set it at a point that meets your torque requirement and still have a comfortable lever pull.

I like this clutch style a lot!

Steve

Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by karter
I'm going in the same direction as you with the Fuelmoto 107 kit and have the SE compensator on order as of Friday .Hadn't given much thought to the clutch assembly other than it's another $350 to spend but it may well be worth it to replace everything while I've got the bike apart .
I also have the weird knocking noise coming from my primary cover, it's not real loud but there just the same .mine's an 09 RKC with 8600 miles on it . This bike is much more fun than my sportster, spent about 3k on the Sportster on suspension and motor up-grades . The RKC should litghen my wallet 3/4 k for similar results . Am I smart or what ?
Looks like great minds think alike!

Steve

Old 10-31-2010, 06:30 PM
pesscomp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading all the posts on the compensator I've decided to go a head an just change it, my question is should I change the clutch too? Stock 96" 07' road king with Thunder max stage 1 & tru duels.

Thanks Mike

Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have my SE Compensator ordered (of course there on back order!) and just the SE clutch spring. I've read that just changing to the SE spring helps the stock clutch a bunch! (??)

Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 AM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by pesscomp
After reading all the posts on the compensator I've decided to go a head an just change it, my question is should I change the clutch too? Stock 96" 07' road king with Thunder max stage 1 & tru duels.

Thanks Mike
Mike...I am no 'expert' on Harleys by any means, but from my basic understanding and from what I have read, the HD clutch design is basically a pretty good unit. But if you're going to upgrade from stock performance, then maybe it needs to be 'beefed up' a bit. When you compare the stock clutch assembly next to a SE clutch (or any hi performance clutch unit) then you see the obvious differences. Did I need it...probably not, but I tend to 'over engineer' just about everything I do! And when it comes to my Harleys...I can talk myself in to just about anything.

At the very least...putting the SE clutch spring in should make a difference in the drivetrain and help to prevent clutch slippage once you have increased the output of the motor to the point that you near the limits of a stock clutch assembly.

Good luck...

Steve

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many hours do you figure this job took to complete and how much do you figure you saved in labor charges by doing it yourself??...in other words, what would the total cost have been if a dealer did it all ?

I belive my stock comp. is going bad. If I take it in to be serviced under warranty then I would like to upgrade the clutch while the primary is apart... Have noticed a knock and slippage since upgrading the cams and having increased torque.

The dealer has told me if they take the parimary apart to check the compensator and it is not bad they will have to charge me for the labor anyway?

... am currently looking for another dealer to negotiate with because the one where the bike was purchased from only wants to spin me whenever I come to them with any issues or complaints.

Would this be better handled with less cost to me through a good independant shop?