Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading up for an Electra Glide Standard

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
TairaL
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading up for an Electra Glide Standard

Hey all, new member here. I currently have an '09 Fatbob that I am thinking of trading in for an Electra Glide. Any thoughts on this? Anyone already done it and regret it/wish they had done it sooner? Can anyone tell me pro's/con's of the Electra Glides? (I am female, 5'6" for reference on the size of the bike) Thanks for any comments or suggestions, I am pretty undecided over this...!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you rode an electra glide?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:10 PM
TairaL
Stage IV

No, I haven't. I have only ridden my Fatbob.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

One of my all time favs.The EG Standard is a basic model,which is great if you want to customize it yourself,less factory "bling" to take off,which you would take off anyway if you trick it out.More than likely,once you drive an EG,you won't want to get on anything else IMHO.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
TairaL
Stage IV

Dumb question, but how much different do they ride? Between the Electra Glide and the Fat bob...obviously they are built differently, does anyone know how different they ride?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you like the minimalist looks of the Standard I'd say do it! But, if you thinking you want to bling it up, chrome the motor or add the tour pak, radio ect., look for a Classic. Gets real $pendy adding this stuff to a Standard!
Good Luck & Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Put it this way the EG rides like a Cadillac,comfort smooth.The Fat bob would be a Jeep,fun more sporty but gets the job done.Both are nice,but if comfort is what your after,EG.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't say what year EG, but I assume a 09 or later. One of the issues you will have to deal with is the height. The 09's and later touring models for some reason feel like they sit higher than previous year touring models. The EG's come with the 13" rear shocks and a larger seat. I am 5'-7" and I added the FBI Drop seat kit to my 09 FLHX. A big expense, but I love the bike (I've owned a fatboy and 4 baggers).

Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

The biggest difference will be the weight. The EG is more top heavy at slow (parking lot) speeds, especially with a passenger on board. It will also be harder to push around in a garage. You should rent an EG for a day.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
TairaL
Stage IV

Yes, it's an '09 like my FB. You guys have been a great help! I will let you know what I decide to do. I have a trailer already rented (from here on base...not expensive thankfully) to take the FB to Arizona which is where I found the EG and if I do this, I leave tomorrow afternoon! I figured if anything, it will be a good road trip and one more excuse to go to another Harley dealership!

Quick Reply: Trading up for an Electra Glide Standard