Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a Road King Classic out for a test ride today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Took a Road King Classic out for a test ride today...

Gotta say, I really enjoy these current touring frames! This one, a brand new 103, super smooth ride, beautiful acceleration with the 103, the bike's smoothness reminded me of a BMW 1200 series.

My dealer doesn't have a Vivid Black in stock or for that matter any other color. The one I test rode was being shipped off to a dealer in a nearby state.

The salesman I'm dealing with... he's a good guy and is trying to work with me and the manager to get the sale done. We're not too far apart but with all due respect, I know the business fairly well as I export fire trucks, apparatus and vehicles around the world.

He's giving me a good trade-in on the almost brand-new 2010 Fatboy I bought a few months ago. My buy price was very attractive so I'm not hurting in that respect.

Here's the thing: I really like the Fatboy! It's loaded, black and super smooth. Runs great. Has that beautiful look and feel to it... a real Harley derived from the old hardtail.

I like the styling and ride. However, for MANY miles on the road at one time, I like the touring bikes better... a lot easier on the muscles and comfort-level.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I'm here for some 'bagger-support' so-to-speak.

Tell me that I should do what I have to do to get the deal done... going toe to toe with the salesman and manager... if you think the RKC is THAT much better in the long run than the Fatboy! The RKC will cost me an additional $7000 or so with accessories plus taxes. My Fatboy is like showroom-ready and the dealer is going to do very well on its sale.

For the record... the dealer is getting his MSRP, freight and doc/prep. All of these are non-negotiable so he says.

I can easily walk away or step to the plate. We're not THAT far apart. Just that the manager is trying to squeeze in the last of the profit centers and he's pushing a little too hard.

BTW, trading it in with the dealer saves me on the taxes and it's easier for him in this economy to sell the Fatboy. Also, nobody has a gun to my head as I can easily keep the Fatboy!

There it is... have at it with your suggestions, comments, experiences.

I'm having fun and that's the point of it, eh?

Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Must not have rode that King very far or you'd signed on the dotted line & it would be in your garage! LOL!! Good luck with your choice!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't like softails.....any of them,so naturally I think you're smart to get into the Touring lineup.You also said you looking for comfort on high milage rides.The RoadKings are great bikes,but given what I see you saying I would consider test riding one of the EGlides.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Buying vehicles is emotional for me so logic doesn't play into it...BUY IT! I will say having a touring bike is worth the extra expense if you really enjoy riding but feel like you're being held back due to your FB. I had a Triumph Thruxton that I loved to ride around but a year later and only 2300 miles b/c it was hard to ride it for a real long time w/o any discomfort was a downer. September it left my house and the Road Glide entered. I'll add that I'm pretty serious about keeping the finish of my cars up and I willingly accept that I have to park my car outside to have plenty of room for my Road Glide in the garage...it's all about compromises.

I bought the RG on 9/19 and already have 1800 miles on it...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like some people are getting dealers to come off MSRP....for example...I bought my bike through military sales and saved about maybe 2500 or so....

I was talking to the sales manager of the dealer that will be taking delivery of my Road King and he could have come within 700 dollars of the price I got through military sales. The difference was the 5 year extended warranty....so as you can see he did come down quite a bit off of MSRP....he said I got a good deal with military sales and he wanted to make sure that they were giving good prices to military members(which he confirmed they are) Heck he just grinned when I told he he knows that 700 bucks I saved will be going right to his dealership anyways for parts, accessories and clothing etc lol

Anyways....just my experience that my dealer was willing to come off of MSRP so for your dealer to say that is non-negotiable......I think is waiting to see if you blink.

Last edited by Port Dawg; 11-02-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the basic electraglide has the extras you will need--full fairing, tourbox,radio, gauges, etc.. costs no more than RK considering extras.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Three of the local dealers told me that they weren't willing to come off MSRP for new '11s in inventory because they will sell for that price. Not the case for new '10s in stock. They also told me that MoCo allocations are based on what they have received versus what's still in inventory, and that they are basically only getting additional '11s as they sell them.

Dealer prep and doc fees are negotiable. Taxes and anything going to the state aren't.

If you're close, the sales manager could slide you a dealership gift card for a few hundred bucks. When I got my '10 RK the sales manager came across with an $800 card to finalize the deal.

If you really like the FatBoy, keep it. If you feel a touring ride suits you better, get on one.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

When I bought my bike 2 months ago the dealer came off their price of $20,990 for the RG $600 dollars and gave me about $300 over on my trade in. My dealer has two other dealers w/i 30 miles and that's the most they will negotiate. They'll tell you in a skinny minute if you want selection you'll buy here, if you want a deal go up the road.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I am trying to trade down (Trade in My 2010 Ultra for a S G 2011) and everyone is saying I will get KILLED on a trade in ? But the way I look at it is If they can not give me cash back or at least Service-Pipes- and some other extras , I will sell it private which means waiting until the Spring? OR Keeping what I have which to me is not a bad deal either way ? For you I would want the fairing and would go for the Ultra or Street Glide , Trust me on this if you liked the RK you will go on a Honeymoon with one of those Tourers, LOL!! Good Luck

Last edited by legendzzz; 11-03-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I did some long trips on my 08 Fatboy and had no complaints. I bought my Road King because my wife's bike was totaled and she wanted a softail and I wanted a 103 ci motor.

Out the door with frieght, prep, and doc fees my Road King was under MSRP; but it is harder to make a good deal when you have a trade-in, unless it is paid for.

Quick Reply: Took a Road King Classic out for a test ride today...