Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suprise!!! I don't have what I thought I have. :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Spartaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suprise!!! I don't have what I thought I have. :(

So, I buy a 2007 Streetglide a couple of years ago from a guy in Pittsburgh. I was told it was an upgraded 103 with a Stage II done on it. I'm provided with a stack of receipts showing the Stage II work amongst all of the other mods / maintenance. At the time it didn't dawn on me to look for the 103 pistons or jugs in any of the paperwork, since all of the other stuff was in order and it looked like the bike was well maintained.

Fast forward to the present. I decide to get compression release valves added to make it easier for my bike to start: my Uncle's shop is doing the work. I get a call from my Uncle asking why I have badging on the bike saying 103, when the pistons are both stock 96s? To say the least I'm floored. At least I do have the upgraded cams in there.

I guess this is a good lesson to learn about "Buyer Beware!" I'm a big fan of learning from my mistakes. Is there a way, without removing the heads, that I could have checked the internal work done on my motor? Besides markings on the exterior of the jugs.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The stroke on a 96 is the same as a 103ci. I know on the salt flats they have a way of measuring the bore without a tear down but I have no idea what the tool is called. It sucks the tool who sold you the bike wasnt honest about the displacement

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you look the receipt over close? Is it possible the guy you got the bike from got ripped off by the motor builder?

Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
CJ Sedona
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that's exciting because now you get to do a 103/107 and your bike will run even better

Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

the best way to do this is call the shop that did the work to see see if they really upgraded the engine. My buddy bought a 2008 ultra from a used bike shop in dallas. 103 engine badging. So he called the hd dealer in utah where supposed work was done. THey confirmed the upgrades to this bike via vin number.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Rdgray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
Did you look the receipt over close? Is it possible the guy you got the bike from got ripped off by the motor builder?
If this did happen and you have the PO contact info, I would let him know his mechanic got him.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
Thats kind of what I was thinking too. As least it runs good and was maintained well.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bum deal you got, but now you know what you have for sure

Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

OK, in my ignorance, I thought stroked meant increased cylinder length, not the piston.

Beary

Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Spartaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I while back I had called the shop that did the work. They could only guess based on what they would normally do, since the original owner got it done back in 2007-8 when he first bought the bike. At the time I called, I hadn't known the pistons were not changed, so my questions were more directed at what cams they used.

I am looking forward to the change in performance and knowing what exactly I have in the motor. It should be a great season to ride.

Quick Reply: Suprise!!! I don't have what I thought I have. :(