Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Wind Splitter Windshield Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley Wind Splitter Windshield Owners

I experience horrible wind buffeting on my 2012 Street Glide with the stock 4" tall windshield. It is so bad, particularly above 80 mph, and creates such a negative pressure area right in my face to the point where it can suck the sunglasses off my face, and the bandana off my head.

I am 5' 10", and ride sitting pretty straight up.

I installed a HD 10" clear windshield which completely took care of the turbulence, making it blow over the top of my head, instead of right in the face, but to me, it ruined the sleek look of the bike, so I took it off, re-installed the stock 4" windshield, and have just lived with the buffeting.

If you have a Harley 7" Wind Splitter windshield installed on your Street Glide, please tell my your impressions vis-a-vis the original 4" windshield.

Specifically, where does the turbulence hit after the new windshield was installed? Is it higher, does it go over your head, or hit your head at all? Is it quieter than the stock item?

Are you pleased with the performance of the 7" Wind Splitter, and would you purchase it again?

I am not interested in any aftermarket windshields at this time.

Thank You-

-Ray

Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

Most all the HD dealers have the windsplitter demo shields, find one that does & try them for yourself. Asking about windshields is subjective, as everyone has a different opinion on what's an acceptable amount of wind, let alone the different seats, riding positions, etc. I like the 12" windspitter for my RG, but others hate it, try one for yourself, it's the only way you'll know for sure.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Klock Werks 6.5" and a LRS 7". (need to sell one of them) I tried the Wind Splitter and just didn't care for it. I would rethink considering a aftermarket.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
scottiebe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought the wind spliter for my 11 SG it has been a huge improvement over stock. still get some buffeting at highway speeds but nothing like it use to be. yes i would by again, it offers style and a huge decrease (not elemination) of wind.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Half Throttle
Advanced

I went with the Klock Werks as well. Have never met anyone that didn't like them. I am very happy with it.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up try Freedom Shield

Originally Posted by Ray Lloyd
I experience horrible wind buffeting on my 2012 Street Glide with the stock 4" tall windshield. It is so bad, particularly above 80 mph, and creates such a negative pressure area right in my face to the point where it can suck the sunglasses off my face, and the bandana off my head.

I am 5' 10", and ride sitting pretty straight up.

I installed a HD 10" clear windshield which completely took care of the turbulence, making it blow over the top of my head, instead of right in the face, but to me, it ruined the sleek look of the bike, so I took it off, re-installed the stock 4" windshield, and have just lived with the buffeting.

If you have a Harley 7" Wind Splitter windshield installed on your Street Glide, please tell my your impressions vis-a-vis the original 4" windshield.

Specifically, where does the turbulence hit after the new windshield was installed? Is it higher, does it go over your head, or hit your head at all? Is it quieter than the stock item?

Are you pleased with the performance of the 7" Wind Splitter, and would you purchase it again?

I am not interested in any aftermarket windshields at this time.

Thank You-

-Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzR12...hannel&list=UL

I, too, am about 5'10" and recently bought a SG after unsuccessfully chasing windshields for my RG w/ no success for 3 years. At the suggestion of someone my own height, I bought an 8" Freedom Shield. He suggested a 7", but I was scared and got an 8". OMG! I can hold my hand in front of my face and move it up and I feel no significant wind until my hand gets to the top of my helmet. I can actually enjoy the radio. The 8" still keeps the SG look. I probably could have gotten away with a 5" or 6" and I might try it next summer. Great quality and finish. Comes with a plastic film and you can try it and return it if it doesn't work. Even sent an email asking for feedback. Great outfit!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copy your words about aftermarket, but will tell you I am 5' 11" and pitched up at an HD dealer while passing through on vacation and they actually convinced me by sheer customer demand and satisfaction that perhaps the HD Windsplitter might not be the preferred choice so I bought and installed an 8 inch Windvest windshield in light tint, to replace the factory Large Ultra Ltd windshield and with that curve on the top of it, and no curves on the side, I can say that it works sweet , the wind is going over the top of my helmet, so bottomline maybe trial one or a friends ride and perhaps don't discount the aftermarket , HD makes some quality products but so do the aftermarket. Your call totally, but figured I would share some honest feedback.Cheers.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM
petewerner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Most all the HD dealers have the windsplitter demo shields, find one that does & try them for yourself. Asking about windshields is subjective, as everyone has a different opinion on what's an acceptable amount of wind, let alone the different seats, riding positions, etc. I like the 12" windspitter for my RG, but others hate it, try one for yourself, it's the only way you'll know for sure.
I have the 12" KlockWerks on my RG, U may get remarks about how ugly it is, but from my seat it looks great as the rain has been falling for a few days and it keeps me dry when riding. I have the dark HD one that is stock on CVO RG's and it is 9" and it looks great until U run into the rain and then not so good!!!
I put the 9" on after Sturgis and that lasted until 1st rain...

Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

i have the 7" wind splitter on my SG and im happy with it. im 6'1" and its a huge improvement over stock. tried a klockwerks and hated it. just my opinion.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:44 PM
hrlydstn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6'3" and tried the 7" Wind Splitter on my SG.It was a an improvement over stock,but it didn't eliminate all of the buffeting.I went with a 9" LRS and have been very pleased with it.I like how the Wind Splitter looks compared to the LRS,it just doesn't work as good for me.I would sell the Wind Splitter for $80 plus shipping from 38570 if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: Harley Wind Splitter Windshield Owners