Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compass install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compass install

I'm interested in putting a compass on my bike. I have the good for nothing thermometer on my fairing and know that that HD has a compass to replace it but I think the price is way to much. Has anybody installed another brand or type of compass ?
I've seen others at Wally World but I don't want some stick on thing that looks like I won it from a gum ball machine.
Looked through J&P but didn't see anything. What out there that looks good like it belongs on the bike ? Any Pictures ?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Default RE: Compass install

Hey Mr. Chuck Berry,

Save that air temp hole for something much more practical and functional - a Wally's oil temp gauge!!!

Do you think a MOCO compass is going to work properly - yeah right, just like their fuel gauges, air temperature gauges......... Big bucks / BIG dissapointment.

I tried a half dozen of those cheap a$$ ball/water compasses too - even the $75 Formation - NONE of them ever worked right because of interference even with the adjustments.

This baby below is nuts on - Columbus could have used this one - calibrate it once (drive around a perfect circle) and you are good to go forever. 100% reliable and ACCURATE!!!

I luv it and it looks good "mounted" on my dash (with hidden Velcro) - sorry no pics yet. Did not use the stand/legs - bottom side of the unit sits right on the center of the dash. Most people think it is a GPS unit.

Has saved me hours of being lost when I'm out in nowhere land in the Wisconsin backwoods/rustic roads/farm country. Places like Deforest

Has survived multiple thunderstorms with heavy rain too - Tomahawk last weekend - no claims of being waterproof. Battery suppose to last 3200 hours.

Unit is not the color in the pic - that is deceiving - screen in grey, frame is dark silver. Can't go wrong for ~$40!!!! Hope this helps.

WORKS JUST PERFECT WITH ALL THE ELECTRONICS ON (HOGTUNES, MP3 PLAYER, BLINKERS, WIG WAG, HIGH BEAMS, SPOTLIGHTS, ETC........)

NO INTERFERENCE WHATSOEVER - IT IS CALIBRATED OUT. (oh yeah, try to use the sun for guidance on a cloudy dark day???)

Dave H. Appleton, WI

http://www.buy.com search for Wayfinder

Wayfinder V2000 Digital Vehicle Compass and Thermometer
Electronics: See more matches
Our Low Price: $34.99
Availability: In Stock: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 business days

DESCRIPTION
Wayfinder V2000 Digital Vehicle Compass and Thermometer

FEATURES

Displays 5° increments, compass rose and cardinal points on easy to read LCD backlit non-glare display
Reads current temperature when wire sensor is installed inside or outside a vehicle; choice of F° or C°
Automatic 10 minute shut-off when vehicle not in motion
Uses lithium battery or DC adapter (both included)
Includes adjustable mounting bracket with suction cups

[IMG]local://upfiles/5166/0875E619051C4897A04868F1D9D251EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2006, 10:39 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have or want a compass (figure the sun is accurate enough for me to plot my course by and I usually can tell if it is cold, warm, or hot without too much difficulty), but...to each his own. However, do think about this: a compass is a magnetic device...right? If you have speakers and that compass is near the speaker, the speaker magnet just may be a problemo!! I have heard instances of other add on guages being adversely effected because of the speaker magnets...just a thought for consideration.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:43 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

I'll take a pass on the compass and the Wally's oil temp gauge![sm=huh.gif]

Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Wallys temp guage to fill the hole, and a Garmin GPS for the compass function.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser

Dave, Thanks for the info. I found the site and choice of compass. Ya' I can generally find my way around. But cruz'in the back roads in Wisconsin, especially on the west side of the state can be confusing sometimes. I'm like a stray dog and just wonder around where ever it looks good and then decide to head for a certain destination and want to know a direct route.
By the way, How was Tomahawk ?

Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 AM
BigTom
Cruiser

I had that junk HD compass. After the 3rd one and many electrical problems because of it, got my money back and got a Wally oil temp gauge. No more problems. My dealer now tries to talk people out of buying it because of many returns and problems.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser

Dave, Any special reason you went with the V2000 ? I'd like to have black to match the dash area.
I see the V2000 has a Temp. on it but that's not real important to me. Any thoughts on the V2000 compared to thr V100 or the VT220 ?

Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser

The Wally World oil temp. gauge ? I assume its in the Auto. section. What does it take to install it ?

Old 09-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

No flames intended but I don't see why one wants a compass on a bike. The sun always rises in the east and sets in the west. I can figure out my heading from there.

Quick Reply: Compass install