Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grips Info

Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated Grips Info

I stopped by my local Harley Dealer today to replace a light bulb in my tour pak of my 2011 Ultra Limited (hard to believe a bulb was already bad). I mentioned to the mechanic about how the heated hand grips seem to be hotter on the right side. He showed me an article in the HD "Shop Talk" pamphlet which dealers get. This issue had info on heated hand grips.

Of interest which I read was:
1. Heated hand grips can take up to 20 minutes to reach the selected heat. Ambient temperature and humidity are players in this.
2. Heated hand grips heat up from 135 - 170 degrees F.
3. The right grip throttle has more material for the heat to transfer thru.
4. The left grip is where the thermostat is. Also if you remove your hand from the left grip, the thermostat thinks it needs to heat up so if your right hand stays on the grip, it will get hotter.
5. 53% of heated grips replaced are actually functional.

There was more info about this but this is what I really recall the most. The info I read was very educational regarding heated hand grips. I've gone thru 4 sets and learning how they operate is really an eye opener. So if you have heated hand grips I recommend asking the service department to let you read this "Shop Talk" issue.

I really think they should explain how the grips work.

Well, I found it interesting. Hope this is somewhat informative.

Cheers and Happy Riding.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Little things like that they should put on the packaging or something.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Ready to get mine replaced this week. Sure wish they'd realize (which I'm sure they do) and come up with an improved set to stop all this.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 AM
mhn254
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for this info. My wonderful wife presented me with an early Christmas present yesterday, heated grips which I will have installed tomorrow. We live in Connecticut and it is getting cold, but my wife likes riding with me even in the cold. It was only my hands that were getting cold and hope this really extends my riding season. This weekend we are riding to Newport, Rhode Island and I am really looking forward to seeing how these heated grips work.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mhn254
Thanks for this info. My wonderful wife presented me with an early Christmas present yesterday, heated grips which I will have installed tomorrow. We live in Connecticut and it is getting cold, but my wife likes riding with me even in the cold. It was only my hands that were getting cold and hope this really extends my riding season. This weekend we are riding to Newport, Rhode Island and I am really looking forward to seeing how these heated grips work.
I also have a problem with hands getting cold and cannot find gloves that work, without gettting heated gloves. I don't won't to deal with the wires. Look forward to hearing your evaluation of the heated grips.

Do the 2009 Ultras already have the wiring in the handlebars? That would simplify the install.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:42 AM
bayoun1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... Thanks for the data. The heated grips on my 2010 Limitied are working fine and I have already used them several times. Just FYI... my left grip seems to be warmer then my right grip but it's no big deal. They really help make early morning rides in the fall and winter pleasurable.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 AM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayoun1
Interesting... Thanks for the data. The heated grips on my 2010 Limitied are working fine and I have already used them several times. Just FYI... my left grip seems to be warmer then my right grip but it's no big deal. They really help make early morning rides in the fall and winter pleasurable.
My right is quite a bit warmer than my left (as the bulletin stated). Sure love them on frosty days...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been wanting heated grips for a while now,but with the earlier problems Harley has had with these I held off. Are these newer ones more reliable than the earlier ones?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
fxe77rebel
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I rode most of my life without heated grips, then along comes the new ride with this added extra attraction. Nice to have, but . . .

My '10 LTD is on it's second set. First set never really worked consistently, then not at all. When they were replaced I spent some $$$ and had the Rumble collection installed. (CVO's) They are comfortable and I like the look, but $$$, damn. Not real happy with these either, they work but don't seem to get near as warm as the stock set did. (when they worked) The stock set would get so warm that you could not bare hand the grips at a setting of 4 or above. I also notice the phenomenon of left warmer then right. The new set seem to work best at a setting of 4 or 5, high (6) seems to drop off temp.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My grips work great.
Never turn them up past 3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Grips Info