Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Ultra Limited trans leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM
smithr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2010 Ultra Limited trans leak!!

Took a short ride today, when I got to a friend's house I saw smoke and smelled burning oil on right side at exhaust bracket (at cat). Looks like trans side cover leaking. My bike only has 5,000 miles on it. I thought the bolts were loose on side cover, but could only turn them a little with an Allen wrench. Is this a common problem? Stopped at a dealer and a guy there says it could be a defective o-ring gasket. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to come get it, after all, it's still under factory warranty. Anyone else have this issue with newer bikes? I thought Harleys didn't leak anymore, not like my '75 Shovelhead did.
Jr.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You cheked the very bottom 2 tranny bolts that hold the bracket? They are hard to see and you can get to them with a ball end allen if you take off the heat shield

Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM
smithr
Cruiser

I checked all of the bolts I could see on the side cover...is there something I'm missing? I will search for some pics...my bike is not here right now or I would go look. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same leak on my 2010......posted here and found many folks with the same problem...apparently the bolt that mounts the exhaust breaks the integrity of the fluid reservoir....very poor design in my opinion.....but after having it tightened by my dealer since I didn't have a wrench that would reach it either.....it hasn't leaked since in several thousand miles of riding.....doesn't excuse a **** poor design though.....love the bike but little STUPID things like this are driving me crazy....maybe the folks building the bike in india will have a better idea....couldn't be much worse....

Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Mav
Tourer

Originally Posted by DPete
You cheked the very bottom 2 tranny bolts that hold the bracket? They are hard to see and you can get to them with a ball end allen if you take off the heat shield
I had the very same 2 bolts loose on my 09 earlier this yr. At that time my bike only had 6K miles... The trans cover was leaking and burning on the bracket also. Both bolts were finger loose. I did not remove the heat shield. I put a small amount of threadlock on the 2 bolts, reinserted and tighten with the ball ended allen. No more problems

Old 11-14-2010, 04:57 PM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed

Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Neweb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
Same thing happened on my buddies 2010 Road Glide they are tough to get at but long story short the stopped the leak once tightened.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened on my 2007 Ultra. Check the bolts on the tranny end plate, the black plate, and not just the smaller chrome end cap.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had to re-tighten mine also, don't worry about changing that gasket its metal as long as nothing has come all the way apart you can just tighten it and go. Use locktite red and your good, I had 6K on mine when it came loose.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
smithr
Cruiser

Isn't Loctite red a little too bonding for a fastener that size? Would the blue be good enough?

Quick Reply: 2010 Ultra Limited trans leak!!