Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 AM
14 FLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please take some pictures and if you dont mind, part numbers please.

Do you have abs on your 14?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 AM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
Anyone have any problems with their bike sitting too vertical or anyone use a wedge just to make sure?
Mine is a 2010 SG and if I dump all of the air out and the bars are not turned 100% to the left while sitting on flat ground the bike will fall over. The first time I discovered this is after I installed it in the shop and dumped the air for the first time and the front wheel was pointed straight forward, the bike began to fall , but I was able to grabbed it.

Now I'm concerned that I will forget this and park with the handlebar forward or to the right and have a unexpected air leak and the bike fall while I'm not there.

where did you find the wedge?

Rick

Old 04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 FLHX
Please take some pictures and if you dont mind, part numbers please. Do you have abs on your 14?
No ABS and attached is one picture of the mock up under the the right side cover. Finishing it Saturday and will post more.

Attached Thumbnails Air ride installed...-image-896891036.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 PM
gotwages
Tourer

So after a long day yesterday of fabing up the air ride lines and electrical, I flip the switch and one of the shocks has a hole in it, damn! So I have to send then back in now but I did learn I need longer grade 8 bolts, a few 90* fittings and a smaller switch. My question about the switch is, I have a 2014 so no using the CVO switch, where can I find one that is small enough to fit into one of the holes under the seat in the frame. I have found a few larger sized ones but can handle the amperage and a few smaller ones that say they are good for 6a at 125vac and 3a at 250vac but not sure how that computes in relation to dc. I work with electrical quite often but I am not sure if this switch will suffice for the 12a compressor. Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM
gotwages
Tourer

Figured it out and got it all squared away. Now I need to get some 3" grade 8 bolts because the bushings and sleeve are wider than the stock ones and some 90* fittings to alleviate the sharp turns.

Attached Thumbnails Air ride installed...-image-3915852348.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM
snailhouse_projects
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
Figured it out and got it all squared away. Now I need to get some 3" grade 8 bolts because the bushings and sleeve are wider than the stock ones and some 90* fittings to alleviate the sharp turns.
What did you end up doing for the switch? I am in the same situation seeing that I have a roadking.... I have a large momentary switch that I'm thinking about mounting on the dummy switch where my passing lights are mounted...

Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
DeadManWalkin
Cruiser

So, not trying to hijack the thread but I put an Arnott Air ride on this winter and have had a few short rides on it so far. The thing rides like a hard tail! Doesn't matter if I'm aired up or down or in the middle. The ride is horrible. When I hit the expansion joint on one of the bridges here in town, it pops me right outta the saddle. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:06 PM
RickK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DeadManWalkin
The ride is horrible. When I hit the expansion joint on one of the bridges here in town, it pops me right outta the saddle. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm using the Monroe's and there are the same way. You will hear of people saying you need to find the sweet spot, which for me was above the half way point in the travel. But this puts me up in the air like I'm sitting on a 500 dirt bike. This defeats the purpose of installing the air ride system for me because I wanted to drop it and then ride it. But I knew that before I installed it and decided that I would just deal with the rough ride.

The part that I do not like is that you have to decide on the "spot" that you plan on riding it and then adjust the belt tension for the level. That means that anythng other than the "spot" is just for parking lots. Yee Ha!

I was wondering if this was an issue for the kits out there like Shotguns, Legends, Arnot's....... I could not find any mention of the fact that although it has 12 different ride heights, you can only use one without a belt adjustment!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM
DeadManWalkin
Cruiser

Yeah I think I'm gonna pull it out and order a set of Ohlins

Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't notice that with the gabriels. Just notice if I have too little air when I hit a bump. Then the tire rubs.

Toby

Quick Reply: Air ride installed...