Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Custom Paint Tins

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Question HD Custom Paint Tins

Does anyone know how HD goes about numbering their custom paint tins?

When you see "X of Y" on the tank is that for that particular year or is that for the entire production series? In other words, could you have #20 for 2008 and someone have #20 of the same series for 2009?

Beyond getting a color/design you really like is there much real re-sale value in spending the extra bucks?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been looking into this for awhile and can't really find any info.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I think they change the designs and names each year. As to increased resale value, I imagine if someone sees it and falls in love with it he will be willing to pay top dollar, otherwise, probably not worth what you pay for it. When I first got mine a guy really wanted it and I could have made a decent profit but I had just got the bike like I wanted it and did not want to sell. Now that I am used to it if I see that guy again and he still wants it for the right price, I may sell it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The numbered sets are new and different every year. If it's #xx of 200 they say that means they will never make more than 200. It's likely they don't even make it up to 200. These are painted to order so it's not like they produce 200 and they're sitting there waiting to be sold. HD does not paint these, they are contracted out to independent paint shops. Mine was painted by Gunslinger Custom Paint. I talked to their Harley contact there and he said 50% of sales of a given set was pretty good, they rarely sell-out. As a part of the contract the painter makes repair parts available for 7 years. I was also able to get a custom matched Tour Pak through the painter.

I haven't really seen where having a numbered paint set makes too much difference in resale. That doesn't matter to me as I'll be keeping this for quite awhile. For me I got the set I really wanted but didn't want to pay full retail. I lucked out I guess. I got the bike at a substantial discount when the '11s came out, I got the paint set off eBay, new, for 25% off retail and sold my original stock set for a grand. So basically I got a numbered set on a new '10 for the same price as a full MSRP '11.

Last edited by ThunderBueller; 11-16-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a numbered set (1st time) 38 of 200. Sitting on the showroom when I saw it and like a beautiful women caught my eye, the rest is history. I also have the original tins in boxes. Those boxes says, they came from a paint shop in Colorado. It's the dealers that mostly buy these and do the change out themselves. My dealer told me they have had good luck selling bikes doing this and that the practice will continue. Not for everyone but, I took the bait.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
I have a numbered set (1st time) 38 of 200. Sitting on the showroom when I saw it and like a beautiful women caught my eye, the rest is history. I also have the original tins in boxes. Those boxes says, they came from a paint shop in Colorado. It's the dealers that mostly buy these and do the change out themselves. My dealer told me they have had good luck selling bikes doing this and that the practice will continue. Not for everyone but, I took the bait.
Probably Gunslinger's in Golden, CO.