Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winterization

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM
RKMCOSCAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterization

what do you do? whats necessary? Do ya need to fog the engine? or will a cover and a battery tender be enough?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,714 Posts

I like to change all the fluids, fill the tank and stabilize the fuel, wash/wax, lube pivot points and things like saddlebag hinges/tour pak hinges, air up the tires, fog the engine, cover and plug in the tender.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I just cover it and connect the battery tender.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 AM
mikelangrich
Intermediate

what do you fog the engine with ?
and your just talking about the outside, right ?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM
MOPAR MAN
Intermediate

Wash & wax it, fill it with gas, put sea foam in the gas, put it up on the bike lift, plug in battery tender and cover it. I change my fluids when i get it out in the spring.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelangrich
what do you fog the engine with ?
and your just talking about the outside, right ?
He's talking about fogging the cylinders. I do it on my outboards, but not on the bike. Pull out the plugs, spray fogging oil into the cylinder, put plugs back in (don't reconnect wires) and crank over a couple of times. In the spring run the bike a few min, then change the plugs.
I find it unnecessary, besides, I take it out occasionally during the winter.
Change you fluids before winter. There is always some moisture in your fluids. You don't want it sitting there over the winter.
Put Stabil in your gas and take it out for a short ride. I don't store with a full tank. Why start the season with stale gas. Stabil doesn't prevent octane loss, just keeps gas from breaking down.
Battery Tender. Coat of wax doesn't hurt, but mine is always waxed.
If you cover it, use a flannel sheet. It will absorb moisture away from the bike.

Last edited by FDHOG; 11-16-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
shakes114
Advanced

my dealer told me spray the engine and all the chrome with wd-40 untill it was dripping off, they said s100 and a pressure washer would take it off in the spring. This is the first time ive ever done that hopefully it wont hurt anything.

xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Fogging, generally, is more than just pulling the plugs and spraying in fogging oil. It is spraying oil in the intake of the engine while it is running and shutting it off during mid-spray. Then, you can pull the plugs, spray more in, and crank.

If my bike were sitting more than just a couple of months, I would likely fog it. It sure won't hurt it.

My inboard powered boat has been fogged after every season, because it sits for about 5 months. It is 25 years old and still runs like new.

xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shakes114
my dealer told me spray the engine and all the chrome with wd-40 untill it was dripping off, they said s100 and a pressure washer would take it off in the spring. This is the first time ive ever done that hopefully it wont hurt anything.
It won't hurt a thing.....Personally, I'd skip the pressure washer. However, if you do decide to use it do it with care. You can easily wash the grease out of wheel bearings and even drive water past gaskets with a pressure washer.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Fogging, generally, is more than just pulling the plugs and spraying in fogging oil. It is spraying oil in the intake of the engine while it is running and shutting it off during mid-spray. Then, you can pull the plugs, spray more in, and crank.

If my bike were sitting more than just a couple of months, I would likely fog it. It sure won't hurt it.

My inboard powered boat has been fogged after every season, because it sits for about 5 months. It is 25 years old and still runs like new.
You don't want fogging oil anywhere near a fuel injection system, trust me.
Your inboard is probably carbed, right? Fogging is to prevent rust in the cylinders and valves during storage. I don't want that crap anywhere near my intake.

Last edited by FDHOG; 11-16-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: winterization