Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Heel shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lowering Heel shifter?

Been riding my Road King around for a few days now and it has been great....the only thing odd I have noticed is that the heel shifter seems like it is a LOT higher than on my VTX. On the VTX I can keep my foot on the floor board, raise my heel and shift. On the Road King I have to physically lift my whole foot off the floor board to use the heel shifter. Well despite me being my usual rock headed self I have come to the conclusion that this just aint right dee dee dee

Take a look at this pic...pretty high huh?

I took a closer look tonight and it looks like it is adjustable? Looks like there are 2 allen head bolts, one for the toe shifter and one for the heel shifter...I imagine the front upside down on is for the heel shifter?

Is it as simple as just loosing that bolt and adjusting? Do you need to take the whole shifter arm off to adjust because there are preset positions? Splines etc...

I suppose I could just shoot over to the dealer also as he is literally 5 minutes down the road.

I'm just getting tired of looking like Chief Jay Strongbow doing his leg lifts whenever I want to shift

Thanks in advance

Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Loosen the screw, slide it off the spline and put it back on in a different position. Don't forget to tighten it back up when you're done.

Last edited by NoCoLoco; 11-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
RKC Traveler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a former VTX rider also and I immediately noticed the same problem with the heal shifter when I drove my RK home for the first time. It really is simple to adjust the heal shifter yourself so go for it.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:44 PM
SA315B
Road Captain

Better yet, remove it.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yup - just loosen with the right size Allen wrench, pull bolt out, slide off shaft spline, reposition and re tighten to 18-22 ft.lbs.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:12 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also moved mine down, much more comfortable now. Just a suggestion, put some loc-tite on that thing when you get it torqued back down, search this forum and you'll see how many people have problems with that heel shifter falling off while crusing around. Good luck, Sir...nice ride.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Easy to adjust, as others have already posted. I would recommend a little loctite though, or it will eventually go AWHOL. And when you take it in for service, don't be surprised if the shifter gets put back on just as it is right now.

EDIT: Well, in the time I typed that, I see the above post made the same recommendation regarding Loctite. The other problem is even if you don't lose the shifter, it can move out enough that you can strip the teeth.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 11-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Thanks Guys! Seems simple enough Loosen, pull off reposition in one of the lower spline positions and re-tighten to 18-22 ft lbs using blue loctite

I miss anything?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Everyone I've had needed the same adjustment. Easy to do front or rear. Use blue locktite

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SA315B
Better yet, remove it.
Best thing you can do! Never understood the heel shifter anyways. How do people ride with them on? Unless your foot is 6" long they are in the way and restricting.

Quick Reply: Lowering Heel shifter?