Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 PM
racersg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
The valve train on this 124" is noisy (640 lift with S&S roller rockers, anti pump up lifters), but the pipes are louder than Hiroshima so you cant hear it very often. Sometimes when I ride next to a concrete divider all the valve noise bounces back and its really noticable (we ride on the left here so the valve train is on the same side as the dividing wall).

I agree that no one seems to be doing big builds and posting their progress any more, I have kinda tuned out to the forum as I have read all the stories about buffeting, how new bikes are too hot, pledge and stage 1 that I can handle.
Amen.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 AM
captsluggo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main factor I use when thinking about roller rockers is valve spring pressure. More lift, more duration, and higher RPM call for higher spring pressures. I am not downplaying valve stem and guide wear nor any other component, but it is spring pressure that contributes the most to the load on the valvetrain. Most of the specs regarding cams seems to focus on opening the valves for so long and so high. Unless somethings breaks, valves will open to specs just fine. The question is will they close quickly enough. If you are installing some gnarly springs recommended by that mega-lift cam manufacturer, it would be wise to consider rollers.
Captsluggo