Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?

I've learned alot here on this forum but no one ever brings up the subject of roller rockers here. What their advantages and disadvantages are, when to use them and why or why not use them ect.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Different forum

There is a seperate forum for engine related techie-gee-whiz-bang valve stuff.

Just sayin....

Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a Rolling Rock thank you.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:08 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad there isn't one for people who give meaningless replies.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
You have a point there........... I'll give it a bump up to hear about roller rockers!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 AM
jarhead45
Road Master

rumor has it that if you got a cam with a .510 lift or greater rollers are a good idea. They keep the valve train straight on a high lift cam. Less wear on the top of the valve due to the roller vs just scraping the top of the valve stem.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 AM
jbmunnoch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure exactly what the differences are in motorcycles but I have experience building small blocks and the main advantages to a roller rocker is under high lift situations it prevents sideloading the valve stem which extends the life of the valve guides and it also reduces friction at the valve tip which would reduce heat, slow down wear, and free up a couple ponies. I am also not sure how much the rpm levels apply in this particular situation but in higher revving motors you need to either lighten up the reciprocating mass or increase valve spring pressure to keep from experiencing valve float and with higher valve spring pressures the factory stamped rocker arms aren't exactly up to the task. My assumptions with the lack of talk about them in these forums is that the shaft rocker setups in harley is a pretty stout setup from the moco for the average stage one stage two build. The majority of us don't necessarily hot rod these motors and there is alot of excess noice attributed to roller rockers so it may not be what alot of the cruiser folks are really looking for. JMO

Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jarhead45
rumor has it that if you got a cam with a .510 lift or greater rollers are a good idea. They keep the valve train straight on a high lift cam. Less wear on the top of the valve due to the roller vs just scraping the top of the valve stem.
I think you meant .610 lift.

That's essentially what I've been told. High lift cams or high revving motors. I'm not there yet with my bike. Probably a good thing, harley roller rockers are awfully expensive, compared to sbc.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

Some don't like roller rockers because they say they're noisey. Just had an SE120R installed which has a .650 lift and I opted for the roller rockers. Oddly enough Harley didn't have roller rockers as a requirement for this build. I must have a good builder, because the engine has less sewing machine sound than my stock motor did.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 AM
dohadex
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Forums

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Maybe I was too vague for you. Look in the dozen or so Engine tech forums regarding every engine subject you can think of...including Roller Rockers (valve train) if you seriously need advice...and not throwing out a meaningless quip why nobody talks about...

Jeez....do a search man!

Last edited by dohadex; 11-18-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How come no one ever talks about roller rockers here?