Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think that I'll have to pick the 2011 RK over the RKC.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I think that I'll have to pick the 2011 RK over the RKC.

I'm planning on treating myself to a new bike soon (a birthday present to myself for turning half a century!) and after much thought, I've pretty much settled on the Road King or Road King Classic.

I just like the clean, timeless look of this bike, it just speaks to me and now I'm pretty sure that that's the one to go for. I don't care for having tunes and it's always nice to have a stripped down bike for those really hot days, although around here in Atlantic Canada, that's not a frequent problem but it's still nice to have that option when the days get too hot and humid.

I'll admit that I've given the Victory cross bikes a good amount of consideration but even though they have a great product, the price is right up there with the Harleys and I've come to the conclusion that I just don't dig the looks of their bikes after all. I hate to admit it but looks comes into play here too and the Victory cross bikes just aren't my cup of tea but a hell of a good product none the less for those who appreciate their style. Plus, I don't like that they don't offer ABS and since their engines are balanced, they apparently have a significant buzz in the floorboards and hand-grips when at speed. I have this problem with my Vulcan 1600 Classic and I don't like it.

Speaking of looks, I'm not real keen on the colour options for the 2011 Road King Classic, black is okay I guess but a bit bland. Then there's the two-tone Rootbeer model but I don't think that I'm all that wowed by that one either and I don't think that I even like the tank badge (Harley has a lot better ones IMHO) and then that "103" derby cover isn't the best looking thing out there either.

Small, unimportant items I know but it just doesn't rock my world in the style dept.

I'm considering going with the Road King Standard and maybe going with the two-tone Merlot Sunglo/Vivid Black paint scheme. That one is pretty sharp looking IMO. And maybe even the Sedona Orange, that might grow on you after awhile. But the Merlot Sunglo/Vivid Black is probably about the best looking Road King out there for 2011 but YMMV.

There's also a pretty big price difference between the 2011 Road King Standard and the Classic. Basically it's $3000.00 (Canadian) more for the Classic.

I'm thinking that with that $3000.00 difference, a guy could buy the 2011 RK and add the security package (ABS and anti-theft) and cruise-control for appx. $1,730.00 (Canadian). Still $1300.00 cheaper then the RKC but you only get the regular 96" engine rather then the 103" engine.

I tend to think that the 96" engine is still plenty powerful for this type of bike and what it's built for. I'm not sold on going with the 103, what do you guys think?

I suppose with that extra $1300.00 savings, a guy could hop up his engine on his own anyway. Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

I'd appreciate any advice here.

Thanks!

Last edited by Burstbucker; 11-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Harley come in another colors Than Black!!!!!

I agree with your choice of the std over the classic. The Classic just seems to limit you to what you can do with the bike with the leather saddle bags.

There is so many dirrections you can go with the standard.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have both the leather saddlebags and the color matched bags, and I far prefer the color matched bags. It's a whole lot cheaper to add leather bags later than it is to add color matched bags. I'd take the 3K in savings and have the 96 built up to a 103 stage II. I know lots of guys dig the cruise control, and having never had it on a bike, I'm in no position to recommend for or against it.

I like the RK Classic, always have, but it it were me, I'd definitely go with the RK standard and build it up a little.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Burstbucker
Cruiser

You know what? That black IS pretty darned hot on this bike. I might have to reconsider what I said about black. Man, that's a looker!

What about swirl marks? Is there a way to minimize them or prevent somehow?

Another good thing about going with plain black is that it's the cheapest option to go with!

Yeah, building up the 96" engine is probably the best bet if a guy isn't happy with the stock motor. I had a 2011 RK with the 96" engine out last summer at the Demo Days and I didn't feel that it was a slouch as far as power goes. But that's just me.

I also love the looks of the new style mag rims that Harley came out with back in 2009 for the RK Standard, I like the looks even better then the spoke wheels, plus they're less apt to suffer a sudden blow-out and easier to do a quickie roadside repair.

As far as cruise control goes, that's pretty high on my list for my next bike. My current bike hasn't got it and I do find that my wrist does cramp-up after awhile out on the highway. Luckily, the RK Standard is available with cruise as an option.

Last edited by Burstbucker; 11-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I like either but now that I have a RG w/ the hard bags, I don't see going with the RKC and the leather bags. I DO HIGHLY recommend cruise though.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
bmcgc
Banned

I like the RK over the RKC just because of the bags, but I would have to have the WWWs

Dont forget the RKC also comes standard with cruiuse.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcgc
I like the RK over the RKC just because of the bags, but I would have to have the WWWs

Dont forget the RKC also comes standard with cruiuse.
Definitely got to have the WWWs.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What about swirl marks? Is there a way to minimize them or prevent somehow?
I have not had a problem with swirl marks, the trick is not to use wax that you have to rub on. I use a spray wax called FW1. I usually get it off e-bay and the norm as $15.00 a can. I buy it in a 3 can pack. Spray on wipe off it is also a detailing spray it works on everything. I also use old 100% cotton t-shirts for all my waxing.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

I am also trying to decide on a bike and the RK is one of my top choices.

Its possible that the 2012 RK might have a 103 and ABS standard and a new color you really like so you might want to wait if you can.

If you love the 2011 you should get it. Either way its a win win.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I have not had a problem with swirl marks, the trick is not to use wax that you have to rub on. I use a spray wax called FW1. I usually get it off e-bay and the norm as $15.00 a can. I buy it in a 3 can pack. Spray on wipe off it is also a detailing spray it works on everything. I also use old 100% cotton t-shirts for all my waxing.

Thats a great looking bike!

Quick Reply: I think that I'll have to pick the 2011 RK over the RKC.