Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Amsoil vs Redline...is like Summer vs Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amsoil vs Redline...is like Summer vs Winter

We should all be use to oil threads by now, with that being said its ok to talk about oil it is the most important thing for your bike. After much reasearch, and trial and error I have concluded that synthetic is the way to go for the 96 cu inch. As far as the type of oil brand this is another story. Basiclly it boils down to application, for instance Amsoil 20w50 seems to work well for the stock, high heat conditions that the 96 encounters during very hot summers, this oil has the best viscosity index, and a very low evaporation loss, it also has excellent shear strength, and more zinc and phosporous for protection. If you ride in the winter this is another story. The Redline 10w-40 seems to have the advantage here the viscosity index is better and the redline provides better protection for really low temps, and flows better is also has the same amount of addititives as amsoil, and holds its viscosity better when its hot in comparison to the amsoil 10w-40. But overall the numbers produced by both products are pretty close the most important thing to remember is no one viscosity rate is good for all situations. Any 20w50 weight is too thick if you ride in the winter especially if you have an oil cooler and a tuner and many cold starts (below 50 degrees F) during this season.

My vote is for Amsoil.

The following users liked this post:
Wizardofaus (01-28-2020)
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well thanks for your input. Another oil thread to run amok in 1 or 2 seconds..lmao...its cool.

The following users liked this post:
pgrchaplain (02-11-2020)
Old 11-20-2010, 08:45 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by yljkt
Well thanks for your input. Another oil thread to run amok in 1 or 2 seconds..lmao...its cool.

Yea I know righ, I am prepaired for the "its you bike" and "oil is oil" post, but we gotta keep the forum alive some how.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it ok to run amsoil 20/50 year round if you live of the shores of the Gulf of Mexico?

I do believe it don't make a rats *** what brand you use as long as it meets specs. Really, too much bull $hit is put into the brand and grade. HD is gud nuff for me although no problems in the last 500K with whatever quality brand I've used.
Oh! what happened before syn, geez? 52 yrs of ridin', hard ridin' never an issue with oil brand or grade. Neglect, oh yea, different story. My 2 cents.

Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Mike
So is it ok to run amsoil 20/50 year round if you live of the shores of the Gulf of Mexico?

I do believe it don't make a rats *** what brand you use as long as it meets specs. Really, too much bull $hit is put into the brand and grade. HD is gud nuff for me although no problems in the last 500K with whatever quality brand I've used.
Oh! what happened before syn, geez? 52 yrs of ridin', hard ridin' never an issue with oil brand or grade. Neglect, oh yea, different story. My 2 cents.

Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or any other good quality 20w-50, because of testing and technology thinks are getting better including oils, not knocking anyones choice just though I would mention some things I have noticed over the years to help some people decide which direction they may want to go in when deciding what type of oil to use. These bikes are not cheap so i am just trying to make it last as I do not plan on buying another one anytime soon. Just believe that a good quality oil like Amsoil, Redline, and Mobile 1 synthetics can help us go that extra mile.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any oil that doesn't contain unobtainium and/or illudium432 additives should be avoided altogether!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Our scoots "are" high dollar and whatever ones preference is, is the way one should go. Also debate/discussion is a great tool.
Keep it up fireaxxe, I'm just yanking chain, as you stated it keeps the forum alive.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like snake oil...

Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Capt. Mike
Road Master

Cobra, rattle, cottonmouth, rat, oh especially rat snake, that's what big daddy used. $hit it's all good oil.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
We should all be use to oil threads by now, with that being said its ok to talk about oil it is the most important thing for your bike. After much reasearch, and trial and error I have concluded that synthetic is the way to go for the 96 cu inch. As far as the type of oil brand this is another story. Basiclly it boils down to application, for instance Amsoil 20w50 seems to work well for the stock, high heat conditions that the 96 encounters during very hot summers, this oil has the best viscosity index, and a very low evaporation loss, it also has excellent shear strength, and more zinc and phosporous for protection. If you ride in the winter this is another story. The Redline 10w-40 seems to have the advantage here the viscosity index is better and the redline provides better protection for really low temps, and flows better is also has the same amount of addititives as amsoil, and holds its viscosity better when its hot in comparison to the amsoil 10w-40. But overall the numbers produced by both products are pretty close the most important thing to remember is no one viscosity rate is good for all situations. Any 20w50 weight is too thick if you ride in the winter especially if you have an oil cooler and a tuner and many cold starts (below 50 degrees F) during this season.

My vote is for Amsoil.
For the cooler months use Amsoil 10W-40 and don't mix it up with the red stuff.

Quick Reply: Amsoil vs Redline...is like Summer vs Winter