Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD LED Rear Signals and Custom Dynamics LED Run/Brake Rear Fender Tip Light … Help Pl

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
LeeP
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD LED Rear Signals and Custom Dynamics LED Run/Brake Rear Fender Tip Light … Help Pl

2008 Electra Glide Classic.
Installed the new HD LED rear Turn Signals and Tail Light per instructions. Now I want to install Custom Dynamics Dual Intensity Fender Tip Light (Run/Brake). The problem is I may need to do something different than what the instructions call for.
The new turn signal’s Y-harnesses require using the 2 unused available connections. The new Fender tip lamp also wants one of the same connections. CONNECTOR 45.
The new fender tip lamp supplied wired connector is to be installed in CONNECTOR 45, Red & Black tails to 1 & 3 of stock fender tip light wires.
My limited electrical logic tells me “don’t cross the streams” but it might do just that if I splice it with the turn signal wire in SLOT 2 of CONNECTOR 45.

Suggestions to make this combination work together without frying anything is sincerely appreciated.

Picture1. Stock

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture2. HD LED Rear Turn Signals Install

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Picture3. Custom Dynamics Wired Connector (Heat Shrink Removed)

http://www.customdynamics.com/street_magic_harley_davidson_led_taillights.htm#Ha rley_Davidson®_LED_Boards_and_Fender_Tips

Dual Intensity LED Red Fender Tip Light

Double your visibility by adding this dual intensity (running and brake) fender tips that adds an extra brake light to your rear.
Harley Fender Tip Converter Instructions
Item: GEN-FT-R-D

Using the Fender Tip Light, Run & Brake, with the LED Signals is what I'm after.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The pic of the exposed components?Is that something you designed,or is that from Custom Dynamics?
Pins 1 and 3 of the fender tip light are 12vdc and gnd.Pin 2 has 12vdc when the brake is applied.
In the set up you have there,at pin 1 the voltage is reduced by the in line resistor and the fender light is lit (dimmer than stock) with something less than 12vdc.When the brake is applied the light recieves a full 12vdc, it is as bright as stock.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed the HD LED signals on my bike a while back.If I remember correctly the run mode for those lights gets 12vdc from the vacant cavity in the tail light connector.The brake mode comes from pin 2 of the fender tip light.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
LeeP
Intermediate

Thanks,
The connector was supplied by Custom Dynamics. I removed the heat shrink to see what was there.

What I am unsure of is if I splice into the pin2 wire by the connector to share that with the turn signals what effect does the connection of pin1 and pin2 downstream have?

Not feeling comfortable doing this with my limited electrical knowledge.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 PM
customd
Novice

The Dual Fender Tip converter needs to get Ground (black), Power (blue), and Brake (red), plugging into the spare 45 connector should be fine since both the Power and the Brake of the dual fender tip has isolation diodes (as you can see with the heat shrink pealed back) in line. Thanks Dave

Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what was your outcome?
Originally Posted by LeeP
2008 Electra Glide Classic.
Installed the new HD LED rear Turn Signals and Tail Light per instructions. Now I want to install Custom Dynamics Dual Intensity Fender Tip Light (Run/Brake). The problem is I may need to do something different than what the instructions call for.
The new turn signal’s Y-harnesses require using the 2 unused available connections. The new Fender tip lamp also wants one of the same connections. CONNECTOR 45.
The new fender tip lamp supplied wired connector is to be installed in CONNECTOR 45, Red & Black tails to 1 & 3 of stock fender tip light wires.
My limited electrical logic tells me “don’t cross the streams” but it might do just that if I splice it with the turn signal wire in SLOT 2 of CONNECTOR 45.

Suggestions to make this combination work together without frying anything is sincerely appreciated.

Picture1. Stock

Picture2. HD LED Rear Turn Signals Install

Picture3. Custom Dynamics Wired Connector (Heat Shrink Removed)

http://www.customdynamics.com/street_magic_harley_davidson_led_taillights.htm#Ha rley_Davidson®_LED_Boards_and_Fender_Tips

Dual Intensity LED Red Fender Tip Light

Double your visibility by adding this dual intensity (running and brake) fender tips that adds an extra brake light to your rear.
Harley Fender Tip Converter Instructions
Item: GEN-FT-R-D

Using the Fender Tip Light, Run & Brake, with the LED Signals is what I'm after.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:21 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got the same setup you have with the run/brake fender tip light. The way I did mine was to use a razor blage and split the wire loom to the tail light and splice the wire into the tail light wires, solder it and use heat shrink. I fixed mine so that I could still remove or replace tail light without cutting wires.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 PM
FLHTPI06
2nd Gear

I have all the same products and wondering how it worked out. Did the adapter from Custom Dynamics make it so the fender tip light was only as bright as the HD LEDs when your not braking? I currently have the Custom Dynamics LED fender tip light with no adapter, it makes it look like my fender is always braking. I would like it to dim in running mode to look more even with the HD LED tail lamp and HD LED turn signals.