Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How soon before changing exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Mental
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How soon before changing exhaust?

Might be a dumb question but here goes...I just picked up my 2013 street glide and was wondering how long I should wait before swapping the stock mufflers for slip-ons? Should I wait until the 1000 mile service or do i need to wait that long?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Mr. G
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes they leave the dealer with slip-ons as options. No real need to wait except that if you install them yourself they and they are not Harley parts then they are not warranted and could theoretically void the factory warranty on the exhaust system.

The reason I would not do it till after the 1000 service is to give the bike time to show any immediate deficiencies and allow you to have them repaired under warranty without any possibility of questions being raised by the service writer.

Also, if it's quieter it's easier to hear any unusual noises.

I bought a new RG Ultra in Aug 2012 and had several warranty issues by the 1000 mile service, though none were exhaust related.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Street-Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my 2013 Street Glide this week and the dealer is putting S&S pipes and Rinehart slip-on's for me (and new air filter). They said there's no issue doing it now and the bike will be tuned on the dyno to ensure perfect functionality. They will also make it part of the factory warranty.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2013 Limited had V&H power duals and Kury crushers on when it came home-8mi. Also put the SE agitator air cleaner on. MIke

Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all comes down to $$$$ and how long you can stand the anemic sound of it.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I bought a new XL1200C back in 2011 and had the dealer install new SE2 slip-ons from the get go. They sounded good to me back then and still sound good now. No issues with them on and had the same bike warranty, as they were installed by the dealer.

I just pulled the trigger for a new FLHR in October, but I waited until the 1K check-up. I too wanted to see if there were issues with the RK in the first few hundred miles. No problems, so I had the dealer install some Rush Big Louies, along with some additional bling. The dealer was kind enough to have those newly installed parts warrantied with the bike as well.

Oh, btw, I grew up in your neck of the woods - TO. Always great to see someone from the ol' neighborhood

Old 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

Mr. G posted the only reason I can think of to wait. Both of my new Harleys left the showroom with different exhaust.

Dennis

Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Street-Glide
I'm picking up my 2013 Street Glide this week and the dealer is putting S&S pipes and Rinehart slip-on's for me (and new air filter). They said there's no issue doing it now and the bike will be tuned on the dyno to ensure perfect functionality. They will also make it part of the factory warranty.
I hope you're going to break it in properly before you let them beat the **** out of it on the dyno.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Sorry Mental, the neighborhood stuff was directed to Mr. G.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mental
Might be a dumb question but here goes...I just picked up my 2013 street glide and was wondering how long I should wait before swapping the stock mufflers for slip-ons? Should I wait until the 1000 mile service or do i need to wait that long?
I do mine as soon as they hit my porch from the Fed Ex truck. No need to wait. I use the Rush 2" baffle in the straight cut or tip compatible with the angle tips which give you some changeable options, on my FL's. Good price, good quality and good performance.

Quick Reply: How soon before changing exhaust?