Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best Air, head pipes and cams combo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is the best Air, head pipes and cams combo?

I have a stock 103 limited. I have added some klock Werks slip-ons and love the deep tone and rumble at idle and low tone running down the road. I was getting some decel popping before I closed her up for the winter. been reading this site a lot for tips. But need to know what people are running to get the most

1. what is the hardest part about doing this type of work

2. Do I need new slipons that go with the head pipe? Klocks makes them but I do not like the look of the double back header it wraps itself around the motor. Just looks funny to me.
3. Can I realistically do this job myself?
4. Will 2,000 grand cover it or am I looking at 3-4. Dont have 3-4 but do have 1-2 grand that I plan on puttin into the bike this summer when I get home.
here was what I was thinkig:

V&H dresser duals
Boss mini-demon air filter
tts mastertune
SE Cams

Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 AM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KEEP READING.

Eventually you will get to the threads about the fuel moto upgrades with Jackpot slipons, a 2-1-2 head pipe, fuel moto air intake, a power commander with fuel moto map and if that is not good enough they offer a woods cam.

as it were....keep reading , plenty of posts with pictures and dyno charts.
I have a 10' limited and am considering all the above . I have been searching and looking to come up with something better but for price ,looks and performance , Fuel Moto is going to be hard to beat.
Just check out their web site. Find their logo on this forum and click on it.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You may not like the looks of mine either, but I picked up 9 hp and 4 tq when I went from True Duals to the Vance & Hines Power Duels.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel Moto!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy B
1. what is the hardest part about doing this type of work?
First, "best" combo depends on your expectations, where you want the power, etc. There is no cut-and-dried answer to that question. You could DIY install SE255 cams for about $200-300 including gaskets, inner-bearings, etc., and IMO that would be a very good fit for your 103 with stock 9.6:1 compression. There are numerous threads about DIY cam jobs here, and if you need help with that just ask, as many of us have done it. One caveat with SE255 cams is that they emphasize low-end and midrange torque, with only a small increase in peak-HP--so if top-end performance is important to you I would look elsewhere. For me, I don't need to rev past about 4K RPM with 255's in my TC96, as the power is where I ride. Add some compression, like flat-top (10:1) pistons, and you'll be in the proper territory for a Wood cam like the 555, 6-6, SE204, or similar although some say 9.6:1 is enough for these. I can't say for sure, but I believe you'll find that stock 103 compression may be a bit low if retaining the low-end is important to you on the three cams listed above. The SE255's are fine with even 9.2:1 compression on stock TC96 engines, and is a very good stock bolt-in cam choice for many touring riders. Buy CVO pulls on Ebay and you can have perfectly good cams for about $150. There is no problem installing undamaged, low-mileage used cams in your bike.

Oh, yes, the hardest part of a cam job is removing the exhaust system, IMO. If you reuse the stock pushrods, removing the rocker paraphernalia is on about the same level of aggravation--but working in the cam chest is rather easy if you follow the steps in the manual and are careful.

3. Can I realistically do this job myself?
Mufflers and AC, yes for almost anyone. Cams, more than likely if you have moderate mechanical skills and can read the service manual. Many of us have done it and are happy with the decision to DIY, both for the savings and knowledge enhancement.

4. Will 2,000 grand cover it or am I looking at 3-4.
It depends on the location, but I think $1.5K would cover a cam, muffler, and AC upgrade if a shop does the work. If you have a '10 or later model you'll also need a header pipe to replace the cat, which will add to the cost. DIY and you'd be looking at probably $500 less on everything with labor not included.

V&H dresser duals
Boss mini-demon air filter
tts mastertune
SE Cams
True-duals will hurt low-end torque somewhat, so unless you must have the sound they produce or the look they impart, I would resist the temptation to install these.

TTS or any of the other flash-based tuners, including DynoJet's new Power Vision, are very good tuners but they will require a dyno tune unless you can find an accurate canned map somewhere. The DJPV can adjust AFRs using the Auto-Tune Pro kit, but not on the fly as with a PCV--the net-result still being a good tune of AFRs without a dyno-tune. I would suggest buying mufflers, AC, and a PCV from Fuel Moto--then buy the cams of your choice and DIY. A PCV from FM will mean lifetime map upgrades, so when you upgrade the cams you'll be able to download an appropriate map. At minimum I would call them and have a chat, as they'll give you straight talk with no sales pitch, and will even recommend something they don't sell if it is in your best-interest.

Last edited by iclick; 11-24-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!

ICLICK,
thanks for the detailed response. Very very informative. Seems Like Fuel moto is the best way to go and it also seems like they are great in the areas of customer service and if i am going to to this work my slef i will need all the help I can get. I apprciate you taking the time to give such a detailed answer. Thanks alot.
Love N.O. (NAWLENS) by the way lived with some cooking / drumming buddies in a van and an old slve house in the quater years ago, for about six months, then reality set in. BUT IT sure was sweeet confusion!!! thanks again.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member

At the rsik of sounding like a dummy can you please tell me what PCV AFR and DJPV mean. I am no wrench and dthis is my first harley. Had Goldies before, but never did anything but bolt ons, brakes and Oil. anything else was out of my league. If you know of some books or anything that might broaden my insight into the lexicon of harley and baggers I would greatly appreciate it, as you can tell I am in the learing stage, but I am hungry for the know how and knowledge of this bike. That being said, thanks for the post. is that a factory color on your bike?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member

I think it looks pretty phat, the KLOCKS headers wrap around the motor. I think on your bike the X it adds to the line of the bike.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member

signing off and going to find out all I can about the Fuel Moto. Thanks for the tip

Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy B
At the rsik of sounding like a dummy can you please tell me what PCV AFR and DJPV mean. I am no wrench and dthis is my first harley. Had Goldies before, but never did anything but bolt ons, brakes and Oil. anything else was out of my league. If you know of some books or anything that might broaden my insight into the lexicon of harley and baggers I would greatly appreciate it, as you can tell I am in the learing stage, but I am hungry for the know how and knowledge of this bike. That being said, thanks for the post. is that a factory color on your bike?
I can help you with that:

PCV= Power Commander 5 (DynoJet) (See Fuel Moto' Web Site)
AFR= Air/Fuel Ratio
DJPV= DynoJet Power Vision (Latest tuner..see Fuel Moto..also a thread has been running recently)

Quick Reply: what is the best Air, head pipes and cams combo?