Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboard Vibrations and New SE Comp.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:50 AM
dirtyduck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floorboard Vibrations and New SE Comp.

My '09 FLHR developed some vibes in the floorboards @ about 9000 miles. The vibe is only during acceleration or light power (maintaning speed up slight incline), and totally goes away when throttling back (like coasting from 70 down to 60 mph). This vibe goes in and out (like a beat), and it's frequency changes w/ engine speed (does it faster when I downshift into 5th). It didn't do this at all before 9000 mi. (had it since new).
Took it to 2 different dealers for test ride evaluations. They both said it feels normal. The one loosened the drive belt about 1/2" over spec., and the other put a new front tire (D408) under warranty. Neither helped the vibe problem.
At about 18,000 mi., the inner primary bearing seal developed a leak. At 20k, while they (yet a different dealer) had it apart, I had them install a SE comp. Seemed to be a good deal, as the labor was under warranty for the seal, and I got 25% off the comp. They also put in a new inner primary bearing sleeve on the trans input shaft, but kept the original roller bearing in the primary.
From the little I've driven it (100 mi) since this service, it still has the floorboard vibe w/ the same characteristics as @ the 9000 mile mark. The start-up "clack" is gone w/ the new SE comp.
Anyone have any ideas for the cause of this vibe (other than "they all do this", because my bike didn't do it before the 9k mark)?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking it's your Primary Chain Adjuster. It needs to ratchet up to the next tooth. It'll do it by itself eventually. There is a procedure I've read on here that some dealers are using to avoid taking the primary cover off.
MAN your dealers are jerking you around!
You go in for an engine vibration and they put a new tire on????
They replace a bearing inner race and not the bearing????
Both are major clusters - if you ask me!

Last edited by Scorpion07; 11-24-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
dirtyduck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I thought it was odd that they didn't replace the inner primary roller bearing when they replaced the sleeve. I also did the high torque/ WOT and motor down procedure to try to get the auto tensioner to click up a notch, but still had the vibes afterward.
When the 1st dealer wanted to put a new front tire on it @ 10k as a warrantable item, I wasn't going to argue.
My feeling is that it's a bearing either on the engine output, or the trans input (inner primary bearing) because it changes w/ engine speed, not bike speed, and it seems load dependent.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

There was a problem with floorboard vibration on some early 09s because the assembers at the factory weren't tightening the exhaust mount bolt, "under the frame", enough. I think the fix was simply tightening the bolt to a higher torque.

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

There was a problem with floorboard vibration on some early 09s because the assembers at the factory weren't tightening the exhaust mount bolt, "under the frame", enough. I think the fix was simply tightening the bolt to a higher torque.

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

There was a floorboard vibration problem on some early 09s because the exhaust mount bolt that "crosses under the frame" wasn't tight enough from the factory. I think the fix was simply tightening the bolt to a higher torque.

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

There was a floorboard vibration problem on some early 09s because the exhaust mount bolt that "crosses under the frame" wasn't tight enough from the factory. I think the fix was simply tightening the bolt to a higher torque.

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Beary

Old 11-24-2010, 01:27 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Beary

Quick Reply: Floorboard Vibrations and New SE Comp.