Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Prospect
Default road king chirping noise

i'm currently riding an 06 flhri. i bought it in march with 8500 miles on it. i currently have about 21000 miles on it. this is my first twin cam. ridden plenty of them but this is my first. ive owned mostly shovels,one pan and one evo for 130,000 miles alone. i have read many threads here about twin cam noises. my noise started a few thousand miles ago. it is the same noise whether hot or cold. it appears to be coming from the rh side of the motor. it makes a chirping sound above idle and gets louder as the rpms increase. i would assume its either the chain tensioner or a lifter. doesnt really sound like a normal liifter ticking though. as many here, i dont have much extra cash. this bike is my transportation. any ideas on what to check. any thoughts on isolating the noise without tearing the motor down? if it is a lifter or tensioners already, i'm seriosuly thinking about unloading the bike and finding me another low mileage evo. thoughts?

head
Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

spray some silicone lube on the rear muffler rubber mount under the right bag. Lots of squeaks from there.

Mark
V&H Dresser Duals,V&H Monster Rounds,Fuel Moto A/C, Power Commander Vision
Polished rotors,Chrome Front End
Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Road Master

Mine sounded like a squeek on the right side. Sprayed silicone on the left muffler rubber under bag, no more squeek.
01 Ultra 97"BB,Woods TW-5G cams with Woods directional lifters,Fueling Super Pump, Street port heads, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 intake, FI2000R PowerPro Auto Tune processer, Rhineheart True Dual headpipes with Cobra slip-ons, K&P Engineering oil filter, LeNale fan,Alloy Art Stabilizer and a KlockWorks 8.5 windshield. And more money spent than the wife knows about.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Prospect

thanks for the responses guys. i'm familiar with that noise from my evo road king. have eliminated that.

head
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Sponsor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Captain-Itch/165404976830401

If you have that many miles you need to look at the tensioners..
Old 11-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Road Captain

The silicone is a "quick-fix" for the muffler chirp that doesn't last very long. I have gone through 2 sets of the rubber mounts. This time I cut a strip of thin rubber like a piece of non-skid or a toolbox liner and stuffed it into the gap.

2012 Road Glide Custom, 103", SE Pro Race Tuner, Cycle Visions Mo Flow Air Intake, Rinehart Duals. RC Comp. Epic Wheels, , Lowered Front/Rear (Arnott Air 12" Aldan), Bad Dad 4" Stretched Saddlebags, Sirius XM w/Boom Audio.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Get a mechanic's stethoscope, it'll help locate the sound...

A 'chirp' to me indicates a pin or roller in a bearing with a flat spot. But then, it could also be a dry bushing, or a gaulled chain pin, or like the others said a heat shield vibrating because of a slightly loosened clamp. (Cam chain tensioner could also make a chirping sound.) Many possibilities. Time to go to HarborFreight.com and order a $5 stethoscope...
http://www.harborfreight.com/mechani...ope-41966.html

Click the image to open in full size.

Just be careful to not let all those other 'normal' noises scare you once you touch the probe to the case(s)...

Last edited by CroK; 11-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM

P

Tags
alarm, case, chirping, custom, davidson, electra, glide, harley, idle, king, makes, noise, primary, road, roadking, sound