Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new exhaust crossover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Finnster1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Just a little update. The pipe expander worked like a charm. Gasket fit in the crossover pipe and slid right on to the header pipe with no problems. Thanks again to red.heritage for the tip.
Awesome! Did you get the small or medium one?

Congrats!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Finnster1

Congrats!
The medium one.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which way does the tapered end go into the crossover pipe? Does it go in toward the pipe or out towards the header pipe?

NM, I think I figured out that it goes down into the pipe...

Last edited by TickTock; 12-14-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM
JayKS
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by red.heritage
I had the same problem when installing a new exhaust system. Most poeple do it seems.

My solution was an exhaust expander from Harbor Freight. It was less than $10, but it did the job.
THANK YOU! for this. I spent a good part of the day effing up two of those damn gaskets before I decided to come in and search the internet for a solution.

So, on my third trip back to the dealer for a gasket I stopped by Harbor Freight and picked up the medium tailpipe expander. Made the job a snap.

Thanks again. -Jay

Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
lammgrel
5th Gear

Does anyone have the H-D part # for the crossover pipe gasket?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM
mail76
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

66813-09, that was the part # for crossover gasket on the '09 model. red.heritage, thank you for that advice, I to mangled a gasket on the first go around, never heard of the exhaust expander before. If I only knew yesterday what I know now I wouldn't be waiting 7 - 10 buisness days for dealer to get one in...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, you will easily ***** this gasket up if you do not expand the mouth of the crossover pipe where the new gasket will reside.

You can use a section of pipe with an outside diameter of 1.75 inches..no bigger, no smaller. Cut it any length you want to work with. You then tap this pipe into the end of the crossover a little at a time. Of course the crossover needs to be in a vice or held very tightly while pounding in the pipe with a rubber hammer. Keep working it, taking your time. Do not get in a hurry. You are stretching metal and you need to take it nice and slow. Work the pipe into the mouth of the crossover far enough to where it will consume the gasket when you slip the gasket in the mouth of the crossover. You should be able to slide the gasket into the mouth of the crossover pipe without deforming the gasket and with very little pressure. If you are getting resistance, you have not adequately stretched the pipe. Keep at it.

As one post said above, the mouth of the crossover has already been compressed by the clamp, so that is why you must expand the mouth back to a pre-compressed diameter in order to get the gasket to seat in the mouth of the crossover. There are slits in this end of the crossover, so it's not that hard to get it expanded back to where it needs to be. That harbor freight expander might be a great tool for this, but I had this pipe of the correct diameter so I used it.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Joker65
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finnster1

Congrats!

AWESOME advice!!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
Which way does the tapered end go into the crossover pipe? Does it go in toward the pipe or out towards the header pipe?

NM, I think I figured out that it goes down into the pipe...

Does anyone know if the tapered end goes into the crossover pipe, or onto the header pipe?
Thanks

Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm gonna guess you could also take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the pipe?

Quick Reply: Installing new exhaust crossover gasket