Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM crashed doing SEPRT download & is unrecoverable

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM crashed doing SEPRT download & is unrecoverable

Took my bike to a dyno to have it tuned as close as he could get it with the seprt, then do a fine tune with the PCV. The dyno guy setup a seprt base map for my bike and went to download the map using the seprt when halfway through the download the ECM crashed. He couldnt talk to the ecm etc so I took the ecm to a harley dealer and they put in another FLTH bike to reset it and told me that the ecm was corrupted and it wont communicate and its possible that a corrupt file could have been loaded into the ecm. The dealer told me that I'm up for a new ECM as its unrecoverable but I dont understand is, if the bike was running ok before why has the ECM just decided to crash while doing the seprt download. I'm going to get a new ECM and just get my bike tuned using the PCV only now but would like to know what the heck happened. Reason we were going to use the serpt then the PCV for fine tuning was if the PCV ever decided to fail I could just unplug it and use the seprt map in the ECM to get me home as we sometimes are in the middle of know where and the closest shop might be 1600 miles away. Is the dyno guy just unlucky and my bike was one of the few ECM's that crashed or is it possible to download a corrupt file to the ECM.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
2002classic
Intermediate

I had my computer (ECM) lock-up or erased when downloading a new program to it.
This was a 2002 electraglide with the old sert. The dealer was unable to do anything
with it so I contacted electrical dept. at Harley Davidson and sent it to them. They were
able to program it and it has worked fine since then.

Roy

Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Thanks for reply mate. I took mine to the dealer and they said it was buggered and have to get a new one. I'm glad yours was recoverable though. Still just dont understand why the ECM has crashed to the point that it cant be re-progammed or reflashed. Tried it back on the bike and it wont even start, but all the indicators ie: abs etc light up on the tacho and speedo. We took the backing plate off my ECM just to see if there was a fuse or something inside but all thats there is alot chips etc. Have got the new one now and just waiting for tomorrow morning so the dealer can program my bikes VIN and any other info they need.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Garcou
Club Member

That sucks!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Garcou
That sucks!
Yep I'm just glad though that it happened at the tuners w/shop. I might just email Harley USA and see if they can recover the old one like they did with 2002classic's. Would be nice if they could as I'd keep it on the bike as a spare.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:37 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

It is a computer(the ECM), we load software and firmware onto it. It may be that the file loaded was corrupt and had malicious code OR the tuners computer was infected and ran a script on your module. Either way I have seen it happen, not often mind you but very possible..Sux for you though

Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Navy UC Rider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hook the PC-V up to it, does it work? Your situation is why I decided to go with the PC-V, if it ever craps out, I would still have an ECM. Just curious if it would still work the opposite way.

Cale

Old 12-05-2010, 09:23 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, that has to bite but sounds like you have the "fix" in the works.

I am curious about first loading SEPST then over riding with a PCV. I thought PCV took over any previous signals and directed the ECM? If that's the case, why both?

BTW I have both but for a totally different reason. Dealer did a crummy job with SEPST in 08, we moved shortly thereafter and I went ahead with a PCV, but again I am under the assumption my PCV "took over" so to speak. Does your tuner do this combo as his normal tune package?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Originally Posted by Navy UC Rider
If you hook the PC-V up to it, does it work? Your situation is why I decided to go with the PC-V, if it ever craps out, I would still have an ECM. Just curious if it would still work the opposite way.

Cale
Unfortunately the PCV will not work as its not recieving any signals from the ECM. The PCV to my understanding only manipulates the signals comming out of the ECM and not the other way.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Sorry, that has to bite but sounds like you have the "fix" in the works.

I am curious about first loading SEPST then over riding with a PCV. I thought PCV took over any previous signals and directed the ECM? If that's the case, why both?

BTW I have both but for a totally different reason. Dealer did a crummy job with SEPST in 08, we moved shortly thereafter and I went ahead with a PCV, but again I am under the assumption my PCV "took over" so to speak. Does your tuner do this combo as his normal tune package?
The dyno guy dosnt normally run 2 tuner modules on a bike, but said it wouldnt be a problem to first get it close with the serpt, then fine tune it with the PCV. The reason mentioned earlier is just incase my PCV crapped out I could just unplug it and run on a decent map in the ECM (serpt) to get home without doing any damage to the motor.

Quick Reply: ECM crashed doing SEPRT download & is unrecoverable