Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front crash bar enough???

Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front crash bar enough???

I have a 09 RK the rear of my scoot is pretty much a SG, I wanted that clean look so i removed the rear crash bars and just wondering if the rear bags would get destroyed if I have a tip. I leaned the bike over two years ago when I had the rear bag guards on and nothing was hurt just a small scratch on the front and rear crash bars on the very bottom. Has anyone laid their SG or other bike over with only front engine guards on and if so what was the results.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't done that, but the couple of times I have been down , the rear crash bars had marks on them, and the bags didn't.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Wife dropped her SG at a stop. Not even moving. She laid it down slow too..
The drop removed a bunch a paint on the bottom of the saddlebag. Looks like hell. Don't have a picture though.

Does she have rear guards now? Nope. Just rides it with no worries.

lp

Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I have a 09 RK the rear of my scoot is pretty much a SG, I wanted that clean look so i removed the rear crash bars and just wondering if the rear bags would get destroyed if I have a tip. I leaned the bike over two years ago when I had the rear bag guards on and nothing was hurt just a small scratch on the front and rear crash bars on the very bottom. Has anyone laid their SG or other bike over with only front engine guards on and if so what was the results.
Wasn't a tip over but:

Got hit by a van last year while on a RoadGlide,wife was on the back...front crash bars only....

Went down hard,the crash bars hit and made the bike skip and slide leaving several foot long scrape marks on the road.Diffused a lot of the impact,definitely saved my right leg... Wife luckily got thrown a little further...THe bottom of the saddle bag was scraped badly as was the exhaust.

We were pretty fortunate...After that I decided I wouldn't ride two up any more without front and rear bars,don't care what anyone else does.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Just have a moly bar looped like a roll cage up n over from side to side so's ifn you tip over it'll just roll on over and back up on 2 wheels!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, a couple slow tips. Scratched the paint on the bottom of the bags but not too bad, and you really can't see it. Just touched it up with paint.

Wouldn't have happened with the rear crash bars. But I still prefer to have them off for looks and passanger comfort.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 PM
93+octane
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that rides his RK without them and when I asked what if it tipped over he said that is what insurance is for. If I took mine off I would not have anyplace for my saddlebag gaurd bags and they are mighty handy to have....

Old 12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

lots easier to pick it up with the gards on,with them off it lays alot farther over.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I can offer definite proof...

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
There's a difference between a tip-over and going down on the bike. If you just tip the bike over while its standing relatively still, WITHOUT the bag guards, you may only scratch your saddlebag. They won't be "destroyed", but the forward outer corner may very well be scratched.

But if you go down on the bike, going any faster than, say 2 mph, standby to destroy your saddlebag on whichever side you go down on. I went down a few weeks ago on an 04 RKC (with no rear bag guards) and the left saddlebag needed to be replaced.

With the rear bag guards, not so much - they hold the bag up off the deck, but without the rear bag guards chances are you'll lose the bag on that side when you dump it. (yes...I am installing rear bag guards with the new set of saddlebags...)

DAMHIK.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tipped mine over a couple of times, no/low speed - small dings on the guards but no marks on the bags. I figure the saddlebag guards are just good insurance.

I agree with the passenger comfort part, though; but since my wife doesn't ride with me that's not a problem

Last edited by Elgin47; 12-07-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front crash bar enough???