Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Reach

Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
hardwareguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar Reach

I own an Ultra Classic and find that my the reach to the handlebars is a little too far. i was looking at the reduced reach bars that Harley sell but a friend mentioned just tilting the existing bars down some.

Anyone have any thoughts on the two options.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I really don't know how much moving the bars back will give you. Give it a try...and if you are at the dealer sometime soon visit with him about seat options....if you like the bars on your bike now, the seat may be as good an option.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Certainly rotating the existing bars back is quicker, easier and cheaper. Try it and see if that's all you need. Once rotated, turn them full lock each direction (while in the saddle and off) to ensure there aren't any limitations.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM
jws833
Novice

I put on wild one chubbys part # WO 575 sitting straight up with a little bend on the elbows an a much better looking bar my bike 2008 ultra classic good luck

Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
hardwareguy
2nd Gear

When you put on the chubbys did you have to buy longer cables and such or could you still you the stock ones?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM
artt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Wild One 575's on my ultra. The only thing I had to change was the clutch cable to one that was 4" over stock length.

There are a couple of bars which answer the issue you have I chose the W.O.'s they are 2" back and 2" up and wider than stock. They are also 1 1/4 thick for looks. For me they were the bars HD should have put on the bike stock. I am very happy with them.

Klockwerks Sweepers are another option. They are reported to have similar characteristics. I understand that they are 1" thick. They too have a loyal and vocal following that will soon offer up specifics, I'm sure.

Whatever you choose will definitely answer your issue. The bars I chose made a subtle change in appearance to the good and a major change in comfort.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM
retgi
Cruiser

I think going to all the trouble to rotate the bars and getting maybe an extra half inch is not worth the trouble. I have read scores of posts on this subject because I was getting pain between my neck and shoulders on long trips. I settled on the +2 sweepers (300515) and they've been on now for about 200 miles and I'm still not satisfied. They are too wide for me and they really didn't come that much closer. I've read a lot about apes and almost everyone converted to them say they are extremely comfortable. I never have liked how they look on touring bikes but at my age I'm more interested in comfort than fashion. I'm considering the Santee 14" because I think that's what I'll need to get my arms level with my shoulders. Now I'm also considering the Harley reach bars and may try them because with the apes I'll need to change all wiring, clutch cable, and brake lines.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Meatloaf-sc
Novice

After a long time of reading this fourm and tring to decied wich way to go I finaly orderd the WO 575's in black. Looks like most get a way with a +4 clutch cable.
Should have mine next week. Hope I made the right choice