Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge issues...sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Fuel gauge issues...sending unit?

I did a search...no one's problem is just like mine but they all had a common denominator...sending unit gone bad.

Anyway, my fuel gauge is sporadic...it will stay on full one second and then go to half the next...I know it's full. The whole time my miles left counter will go up instead of down...if the gauge does go down to 1/4 tank (when I'm at 1/4 tank), the counter will still say 125-205 miles left and slowly rise. One time the low gas indicator light came on while the tank was full.

So...? Sending unit?

The following users liked this post:
Garrman (11-02-2019)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 99 FLHRCI does the same thing. Done it since the day i got it. I ignore it the best I can and just use the odometer to figure out what I have left in the tank. The only thing that bugs me is the bright *** low fuel light that wont go out.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My 01 FLHT had a similar issue, maybe even a little worse. I found a fuel gauge on Ebay for cheap after pulling the sending unit and checking it visually, looked OK. Still had the problem. After installing Dakota Digital Gauges, problem went away. Hard to believe that I would have issues with two gauges......

Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the HD gauges are kinda hit and miss so im told. For every 50 that have no problems with them there are another 50 that have similar problems to ours. Ive passed on several used gauges on ebay for that reason. More than likely they are bad ones.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:07 PM
YtseJam
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slyder
the HD gauges are kinda hit and miss so im told. For every 50 that have no problems with them there are another 50 that have similar problems to ours. Ive passed on several used gauges on ebay for that reason. More than likely they are bad ones.
Kinda learned that the hard way! Fortunately the gauge only cost around $20 shipped......

Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was doing something similar. Took it in for warranty repair. Service manager told me I had a pinched wire that was causing the problem. No problem since it was repaired.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I took off the fairing and looked at the wiring, couldn't see anything. I'll pull it off again this weekend and look closer. The other bad thing is I have the titanium gauges...good thing the fuel gauge is only like $35 or so.

If the fuel gauge is bad...would that have anything to do with the miles left info in the LCD read out though? That is screwy too.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

one trick which is used with c-5 corvettes is to use some sea foam fuel additive every once in a while. the reason being is that the float contacts for the wiper, tend to get coated with sulphur from todays gasoline. sea foam seems to clear the sulphur from the pump and fuel sending unit. i know with my c-5 vette is something i need to do about every 5th fillup. this may help your situation too.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Gremlin attack...get a bell! ;-)

Old 12-15-2010, 08:17 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All too often gas gauge issues stem from faulty ground. The sending unit is a rheostat seeking ground, mounted on a tank that has isolating rubber mounts on it for vibration reasons.

You can even run a secondary ground lead to the sending unit's mounting bolts and attached directly to the frame to check for a ground issue. It can even be intermittent.

The float also rides up and down with the sloshing gas so you can accelerate and look and have a different reading than setting still, not unlike a cars gas gauge.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-16-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge issues...sending unit?