Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on Stage1 vs 2 vs 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Educate me on Stage1 vs 2 vs 3

OK, I've owned and/or ridden just about every kind of bike under the sun, from MX to Enduros, to Crotch Rockets, to Japanses Cruisers, but just entered the Harely World. From my Sport Bike days, and time spent at the track, I know that there are two "basic" levels of performance upgrades, followed by the insane/unlimited upgrades that professional racers do with personal and factory money. For example:

Level 1 upgrade:
Slip on after-market pipe and high-flow air filter

Level 2 upgrade:
Full system exhaust, high flow air filter, and power commander

Level 3 upgrade:
Same as Level 2 with advanced engine mods/tweeks

Now let's talk Harley's. Upon entering this world, I have frequently heard the terms Stage 1 and Stage 2, which I "think" I sorta understand, but I've also heard of Stage 3, which I cannot fully comprehend.

In regards to a 2011 103 RCG, I've decided that I "initially" want to do V&H Monster Rounds, a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner, and a Dynojet PC-V, as it will allow me to easily run another map down the road when I add some TW-555 Wood Cams in a couple years when the manufacturer warranty expires.

According to what I've been reading, these desired upgrades (with or without) the Cam upgrade, would be a Stage 1 upgrade. Meanwhile, if I did a full system exhaust (with headers), the same Cams and PCV, and a heavy breather air cleaner, then it would be a Stage 2 upgrade.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, hence my reason for this thread. And I still don't get the whole Stage 3 thing. Can somebody please break down this whole Stage 1/2/3 upgrade thing down for me in lamens terms and explain it to me like I was 12-years-old. I'm tired or guessing...???

Old 12-24-2010, 11:16 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I think you've already nailed it. I'd add cams to stage 2 though. A bore job with mods to the heads might also qualify in stage 2. Head porting with the appropriate cams and bore would be stage 3. Others might require a certain displacement criteria to qualify. The options are changing so fast and what used to be a mind blowing option is now becoming more standard.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Kenzo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Close but not quite right.
Stage 1 should include the factory map download
Stage 2 should include ajustable pushrods and cams

Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tek, I'd say you are roughly right. Stage 1 includes the mufflers and air intake, and can include a download or a fuel management device.

You listed power commander as part of stage 2, but that is a particular product name, not a category of fuel management.

Stage 2 would involve adding new cams, and for me anyway, replacing the stock head pipe with a cat-less setup like V&H Dresser Duals.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenzo
Great info link that should definately be a Sticky somewhere. So I was mostly correct in that performance mods done without getting into the engine are generally Stage 1, and adding Cams crosses over into Stage 2. The Stage 3 and 4 mods are interesting, but definately an arena that I never intend to enter.

Thanks for everyone else's feedback too...!!!

Now I am an expert.

Last edited by Tek74; 12-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

You know what this reminds me of. Back in my car days people would say I've got 3/4 race cam. Never made much sense to me. Same situation here with Stage 1, Stage 2, etc.

How many cam grinds fit into that 3/4 umbrella? Must be hundreds. Same goes for Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. How many different mufflers, how many different air filters, cams, tuners, etc.?

So basically Stage1, Stage 2 or any other descriptor doesn't mean ****, other than being a simple generalization that some mods have been made.

That's my take.

The following users liked this post:
Barefoote (09-02-2017)
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

...don't forget stage 4...

Old 12-24-2010, 01:21 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to explain it like this...

Stage I: exhaust(can be full system or slip-ons), intake, fuel management

Stage II: stage I and cams...usually a big bore is done here too

Stage III: stage II and headwork

Stage IV: stage I and forced induction (turbo/super-charger). Cams/headwork are not necessarily needed here but to get the ultimate performance they are used. An example of a high end stage IV bike would be the current World's Fastest Bagger.

Last edited by mattman22033; 12-24-2010 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kcblaze (02-26-2017)
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
You know what this reminds me of. Back in my car days people would say I've got 3/4 race cam. Never made much sense to me. Same situation here with Stage 1, Stage 2, etc.

How many cam grinds fit into that 3/4 umbrella? Must be hundreds. Same goes for Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. How many different mufflers, how many different air filters, cams, tuners, etc.?

So basically Stage1, Stage 2 or any other descriptor doesn't mean ****, other than being a simple generalization that some mods have been made.

That's my take.
THe 3/4 cam, as you might know, comes from the earliest days of hotrodding, and referred to a specific cam for flatheads. In the 60's and 70's, it became kind of a de facto description for most moderate street performance cams. There really isn't a standard for what is or isn't a 3/4 race cam, and the term has fallen from use. The Harley "stages" do have some vagueness, particularly stage IV, but generally we all agree what they all mean.

Quick Reply: Educate me on Stage1 vs 2 vs 3