Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doc's Performance Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Doc's Performance Tuning

Doc’s Performance Tuning

I just returned from Florida and a visit to Doc’s Performance Tuning. Doc installed a TTS MasterTune and did a dyno on my bike. My bike is an 09 Street Glide, stock except for an SE air cleaner and custom baffles in the stock pipes. I learned several things on the trip, all of which I will put in a separate post, this one is about Doc and the TTS MasterTune.

I learned about Doc from an earlier post in this forum. Other than stating Doc is one of the best tuners in the country they also said he works by appointment only so make sure you call in advance, which I did. The appointment only thing works out well, that way Doc can stay focused on you and your bike and is not distracted by a constant stream of customers. The unrushed individual attention made me feel like I was going to get my money’s worth right out the gate.

Doc is a very friendly guy, easy to get along with, honest and pleasant to be around. He is also very knowledgeable and detail oriented. The first thing I noticed when I walked into his shop was how clean and organized it was, no clutter and everything neatly arranged, including every tool in his tool box. You know what they say; a cluttered desk is a cluttered mind. Obviously Doc does not have that problem.

Doc went over the TTS and the dyno, everything he was going to do and how long it would take. Doc noticed I did not have a wheel chock in my trailer and my tie down hooks were pretty crappy to boot. He gave me a couple tie down bolts and offered to let me use his tools and his shop to install a wheel chock. You can’t beat that for customer relations, but with Doc it is not so much customer relations, it is more so that he is a nice guy doing what he can to help.

Doc gave me directions to the local Harley Dealer he does business with all the time, Stormy Hill Harley Davidson. It was 9:30am and Doc said my bike would be ready by 3:30pm, so I was off to find a wheel chock. I ended up running all over the Orlando area and never did find one I liked, but while I was at Stormy Hill I asked them about replacing, under warranty, my compensator with the upgraded SE compensator. They said they would if I paid the difference for the cost of the parts. I jumped on that deal and made an appointment for the next morning. (I had previously talked with several dealers in my area; none of them would do the upgrade).

I got back to Doc’s a little after 3:30pm and my bike was waiting for me. It started right up and ran smooth, I took it for a test ride, it was quick and responsive and after putting a couple thousand miles on it over the next week on freeways, back roads and a lot of coastal roads through town after town, stop light after stop light, I found I am getting between 38 and 42 mpg, depending on how and where I ride the bike. My bike is tuned perfectly, with just the right blend of performance and fuel economy. Doc highly recommends the TTS over any other tuning system, and the combination of the TTS and Doc’s experience and skill is a perfect match. Doc got the most out of my bike anyone possibly could, it runs great.

For those of you who are into numbers. My bike went from 71.28 max power and 81.62 max torque to 78.17 max power and 92.16 max torque SAE, or 80.36 max power and 94.74 max torque STD. I think most people use STD, either way those are pretty high numbers for a stock bike with just an air cleaner and slip-ons. Even better than the numbers, my bike feels good and is a pleasure to ride. I am posting the graphs from Doc's dyno work, hope they attach properly. Also the link to my other post about my Florida trip is here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/595266-my-florida-trip.html#post7717752

Thanks Doc for the great tune, it was a pleasure meeting you. And for anyone wanting the best possible tune, by one of the best in the country, make your way down to Florida and see Doc, he won’t let you down.

Graphs did not upload, I'll try to add them.

Doc’s Performance Tuning
317 E. Washington St, Unit A

Minneola, FL 34715

352-404-6999

http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/

Last edited by jjnoble; 12-30-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

I cannot figure out how to post the graph, I click on attachment and upload them from my computer and save the changes but they don't show up in the post. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:23 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I spent a lot of time at Doc's last week. To say that he is a great guy is an understatement. I have been waiting to do a thread on my new build, the ups and downs. But I want to say he went out of his way to help me fix some of the issues I had, being my first build, I learned a lot!!!!
I'll try to make a long story short, I had to remove the rear rocker box for clearance issues, he basically said there's the lift and there's the tools, that way it won't cost as much, and he did pitch in.
I ended up leaving the bike there after being broken in, due to issues beyond our control. I was going to head back up there in 4 days (when he had time open) to try to fix a vacuum leak. He called 3 days later and said he's got it on the dyno right now and can pick it up tomorrow. (the day I was going up to work on it) So instead of working on it I was riding it through the hills of Clermont that morning. When I showed up he had a big smile.
I felt terrible that I felt I was wasting his time, but he was very understanding. I was heart broken, but smiling on the first twist of the throttle.
The outcome,,,, it made more power than I was hoping,
106hp-111tq STD
104hp-108tq SAE More on the build in another upcoming thread.
Thanks Doc!!!!
Jody

Last edited by chevele72; 12-30-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior

I want to say something else, while I was there picking up (and riding) my bike, I met another forum member that was having his bike tuned that day. I forget his screen name but his name was Jack. Doc, Jack and I went to lunch and it was like I had been friends with them for years.
Thanks!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chevele72
I spent a lot of time at Doc's last week. To say that he is a great guy is an understatement. I have been waiting to do a thread on my new build, the ups and downs. But I want to say he went out of his way to help me fix some of the issues I had, being my first build, I learned a lot!!!!
I'll try to make a long story short, I had to remove the rear rocker box for clearance issues, he basically said there's the lift and there's the tools, that way it won't cost as much, and he did pitch in.
I ended up leaving the bike there after being broken in, due to issues beyond our control. I was going to head back up there in 4 days (when he had time open) to try to fix a vacuum leak. He called 3 days later and said he's got it on the dyno right now and can pick it up tomorrow. (the day I was going up to work on it) So instead of working on it I was riding it through the hills of Clermont that morning. When I showed up he had a big smile.
I felt terrible that I felt I was wasting his time, but he was very understanding. I was heart broken, but smiling on the first twist of the throttle.
The outcome,,,, it made more power than I was hoping,
106hp-111tq STD
104hp-108tq SAE More on the build in another upcoming thread.
Thanks Doc!!!!
Jody
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Yours must be the bike I saw on the lift when I brought mine in, Doc said someone did a build on it themselves. Glad it worked out for you. I can't say enough good stuff about Doc.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chevele72
I want to say something else, while I was there picking up (and riding) my bike, I met another forum member that was having his bike tuned that day. I forget his screen name but his name was Jack. Doc, Jack and I went to lunch and it was like I had been friends with them for years.
Thanks!

&&&&&&&&&&

Is Jack the guy whose girlfriend dropped him off with her Triumph, from Fort Lauderdale?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior

Jack, I believe was from Clearwater, he trailered his '10 Ultra up.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Doc is a great guy on the phone and via email...hope to visit him one day soon...

Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i've read quite a bit about him in here and doc seems to be a great guy and a tuner who really gets involved with squeezing every bit of power out of a tune.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM
marvin4239
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Doc tune my last bike a 03 Night Train and he did a great job. Spent several hours with it and me explaining every step of the way. This was when he was at MMI. Glad to hear he's opened a shop as I'll soon need his services on my new bike.

Quick Reply: Doc's Performance Tuning