Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed the catalyst from the head pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

So do I understand that this O2 sensor that is now in the void of the cat area needs to be moved? Or protected with a weld in piece? anyone know what is in the new non-cat headers from Fuel Moto?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
stewy1200c
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTC
Yep, the old reversion negative pulse wave will get you every time. But seriously, lots of folks here have gutted the CAT with no adverse affects.
Yup, I talked it over with my Indy, He has done a few for guy's and have not had ANY issues. There are a bunch of guys on the forum who have done it and have had no issues. I cut mine and cleaned it all out. Monday he's going to tig it back together for me. I guess maybe cross talk could happen, but I haven't had anyone who has cut out there Cat complain about it or say not to do it, including my Indy.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Echoing and adding to what Spider Pig asked, what about Fuel Moto or any other after market header???? No cat in those headers.... And what are the consequences of crosstalk?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Meatloaf-sc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running with the cat gutted for some time now and my bike runs great. If you look inside the head pipe when you cut it open you can see that it is completely separated just like any other 2into1. There was open space before the cat any way. I would agree that there may be sonic pulses running back up the pipes but that happens with any header. O2 sensor is measuring Gases not sonic pulses. When you look at the head pipe you can see that its just like any other header. Each exhaust event going past the other pipe creates a vacuum on that pipe this venture effect is what gives headers a performance advantage over manifolds. Now that being said I could be full of BS but I have a bike that runs great sound great and my leg is not getting fried and I only spent 50 buck on my exhaust system. If you’re worried about cross talking then you should spend the thousand dollars most of these new systems cost. Me I have a very hard time spending that much on a few pieces of pipe and a muffler that we used to be able to get for a couple hundred bucks. good luck to all wich ever whay you desiced to go

Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 PM
renlan
Advanced
Angry

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I bought a gutted 2010 2-2 headpipe on Ebay a month or so ago. With all this talk about pieces of the cat being sucked back into the exhaust port.I dropped an email to the person I bought it from and asked about how he cleaned the part where cat was.

He said after he cuts the cat out that he files the inside slightly and runs a 1 3/4 wire wheel to try and get any loose material out. He suspects that issues could be happening with some people just running a concrete coring bit though the cat just to punch a hole in it. That could open up pieces coming off in that case which makes sense
uh oh! Whats this about pieces being sucked back in, I cut open my pipe and gutted my cat. I started with a drill and then used an air chisel then a hand chisel, I got it really good but a few spots where the epoxy was thick around the very outer edge I gave up on. I didnt grind it smooth, There were no loose or jagged edges left I figured it was unlikely to break apart and if anymore broke off it would just blow out the back. how can it get sucked forward? Do I need to cut it back open and grind it smooth? Im already all welded and back together Id hate to have to cut it again. Is there a thread on pieces being sucked in and causing damage?

Last edited by renlan; 01-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by renlan
uh oh! Whats this about pieces being sucked back in, I cut open my pipe and gutted my cat. I started with a drill and then used an air chisel then a hand chisel, I got it really good but a few spots where the epoxy was thick I gave up on. I didnt grind it smooth, I figured it was unlikely to break apart and if anymore broke off it would just blow out the back. how can it get sucked forward? Do I need to cut it back open and grind it smooth? Im already all welded and back together Id hate to have to cut it again. Is there a thread on pieces being sucked in and causing damage?
if you are running a stock cam or other mild cam I doubt you will have an issue.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

there is no vacuum in the exhaust....the exhasut valve is closed on the downstroke of each piston....there is a reason why exhaust gases come OUT of the pipe.

~Joe

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
there is no vacuum in the exhaust....the exhasut valve is closed on the downstroke of each piston....there is a reason why exhaust gases come OUT of the pipe.

~Joe
there is on a harley. Stick an O2 sensor probe in the end of the exhaust but not high enough up and you will get incredibly lean readings. Shove it close to the port and not near as lean. It is the nature of the beast.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:32 PM
andremn
1st Gear
Default Cats.

http://www.americancustom.com/?gclid...FQpm7AodbniIrw

Got me a header from these folks. 2010 FLTK with Road Glide fairing, 103 motor. It has V&H mufflers and after the converter was removed the exhaust is louder by quite a bit. No issues with anything. Perhaps my o2 sensors didn't get the memo to cross talk. My observation is that the bike feels a little flatter at low revs under 2500 and as good higher up in the rev scale. I do travel a lot long distance high speed wit a camper in tow so I might look into quieter mufflers which might also help with the torque loss.
I read here about wrapping the rear pipe in pipewrap and might try that just because I can.
When you do the header swap you will feel the difference in exhaust flow out the mufflers. The left hand one only flows a little compared to the right. Different baffles might dolve that. When you re connect the cross over pipe you'll see the diffirence in pipe diameter.

Last edited by andremn; 05-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.