Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have TCB brake system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
digger825
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have TCB brake system?

If so what are your thoughts and experiences with it?

I posted this in the general thread too, I apologize to the forums police for this tremendous error in advance

I thought of asking here since I will be adding it to my RK, if I decide to get it. So far from the searches I recon this can be a great product, with the exception of a few comments that left me wondering. The threads were a lil old, I'm thinking a few more people have bought em.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:43 PM
HandleBarLouie
Tourer

I have them on my Harley and my V-Max, work like magic.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
digger825
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HandleBarLouie
I have them on my Harley and my V-Max, work like magic.
Thanks, do you have them on front and back or other?
Have you ever "needed" them or just tested them and you're glad they are there?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I have it on the rear only. Here's my reason:

In a panic stop, if the brake(s) lock up, tendency is to release the brake(s) and re-apply. From ABATE training, one should not release the rear if it locks up, but only to release the front and re-apply, because if the rear regain traction all of a sudden, the bike might high-side on you. Now we know when the s**t hits the fan, most trainings are out the window. Figure this is a good way to not lock up the rear as easy.

Was trying out just the rear and add the front at some point. After a year's riding, I choose not to add this to the front. Main reason is now the rear brake takes quite a bit more "pressure" for it to activate, and that kinda concern me....

That being said, TCB recommends if only doing one, it should be in the front. But as I mentioned, normal reflex is to release the brake and re-apply anyway if lock up, it make more sense to me to install in the rear and not the front.

Maybe that's the reason why I haven't notice shorter stopping distance. Overall, I'm not unhappy with the TCB, more for a peace of mind than anything.

Sorry for the long post, just want to voice my opinion for you to make an educated decision.

Ride safe

Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM
digger825
Cruiser

No need to apologize, the longer the post, the more info I soak in. Thanks
I see why the front makes sense, I often have the feet on the highway pegs even on the street and think about if I need the rear brake I'll have a delayed reaction cause of it. And I've locked up and high sided before, so the rears seem to make a lotta sense too. Thus why the inquiry.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 PM
HandleBarLouie
Tourer

My V-Max is retarded fast, and the brakes are complete crap. I put one on the rear and on the front M/C and it keeps both from locking up. I would never recommend anymod that didnt actually work, but these units are great.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by HandleBarLouie
My V-Max is retarded fast, and the brakes are complete crap. I put one on the rear and on the front M/C and it keeps both from locking up. I would never recommend anymod that didnt actually work, but these units are great.
Hi HandleBarLouie,

Do you feel you have to apply "more" brakes to stop or even quick slow down? That's the major obstacle for me to NOT put it in the front at this time.

Knocking on wood, I never locked up brakes before, even before the TCB in the rear, one of those "just-in-case" kind of things....

Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 AM
digger825
Cruiser

that's a good question about the applied pressure, I would also like to know if it differs from front to back since the front is on the master cylinder.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more posts it threads on this matter, it sounds like a great safety feature for those those who don't have abs.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Nightstalker88
Tourer

I agree the V max is retarded fast. I out rode the brakes twice on one.

I put the TCB on the rear of my street glide. As as someone else said after the install it seems to take more pressure on the pedal. But I've noticed a difference on wet pavement...I think....I can't say whether it works or not with conviction.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
digger825
Cruiser

Anyone else using this? I'd like to hear more please...

Quick Reply: Anyone have TCB brake system?