Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SEPST - Smart Tune ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SEPST - Smart Tune ?

I purchased the SEPST, cables and Smart Tune program discs and had the dealer download a base map (205TD004-001). The dealer said then to do some recordings and let Smart Tune help tune it closer.

I'm new to SEPST, so a quick ?.

If the base map is loaded, can I just start the process step at Recording to VCI OR do I have to reflash the canned map with the two boxes checked, "Enable Smart Tune Reflash" and "Reset Adaptive Fuel" and then go through the process of starting to record?

My bike/parts are noted in my sig.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have more.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain

I figured it out. I reflashed the ECM with the two boxes marked, went through the process to start recording from the VCI, put the VCI in my pocket, when the bike was all warmed up I hit the record button and recorded about 20 minutes worth of data, around town. I downloaded it to my laptop and now will figure out how to use Smart Tune.

I did reflesh the ECM with the origonal map but this time w/out the two boxes marked, I was not sure if I needed to do this, but I did.

Pretty fun stuff and once I fugre out how to use Smart Tune, looks like I'll be learning alot about EFI. I'm so use to carbs, but all in all good stuff.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ill grab all file with questions I asked

not sure if you you have auto decompreession on your bike. If you dont and click enable it you will get error codes.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...questions.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...st-enable.html
read some questions people answered for me.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default was redlight blinking

was the red light blinking when you did the test run. if it was just solid red you didnt record anything.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:58 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Hook the tuner to the laptop and open the map you have loaded. You can save the map as a new name so you don't overwrite the original map from HD (it's on the disc anyway, but i find it easier to rename the map for easier identification). Anyway, open the map and then expand the VE table front or rear and then select Smarttune and drag it over to a new field on the right. In this field you can open the data fiel you collected. Then hit the button to Generate new VE values. The software inputs what it determined during the ride and highlights the cells accordingly. You can then accept the values. Save the map, and then re-flash it to the ECM. Check Reset adaptive fuel box only, unless you want to collect more data and smarttune again. It takes a few sessions to cycle the bike through all the gears and cells in the map, so keep collecting data. Always press the red VCi button at the end of a ride to save the data onto the VCI. Learned this the hard way and didn't collect an hours worth of riding.... Have fun

Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
was the red light blinking when you did the test run. if it was just solid red you didnt record anything.

YES, +1... Done that as well a time of two....

Old 01-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain

Thanks everyone. I did ifnd the recorded data on the laptop, but SmareTune was not showing up. I think, like you said, have to have the VCI powered up by the bike, connected to my laptop to do the Smart Tune. Will give it a try later. I just got back from a 200 mile ride. Popping on decleration, so hoping the Smart Tune might tune thzt out over time.

Thanks again!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain

I was in basic tuning mode.. just switched to advanced and smart tune showed up. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Grillfish
Road Captain

Thanks for all the help. Did Smart Tune for the front and rear VE tables, hit update, saw the light blue changes to the working table, saved the file. Then went out to the bike, hit reflash, selected the file I just saved from the drop down up top, clicked the reset adaptive fuel box and reflashed it.

Not that hard. Going to have a beer and relax, then in the morning do some more riding/recording and re-due the Smart Tune again.

This is pretty fun stuff, coming from a carb guy.

Have a good one.
Todd

Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

now i'm wishing my sepst had another version called stupid tune so i could figure it out. i had my bike dynoed by a real wizard so i'm pretty sure it's spot on.

Quick Reply: SEPST - Smart Tune ?