Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC-V or HD ECM Download?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC-V or HD ECM Download?

I will be doing a stage 1 upgrade in the spring once all this snow goes away. I've purchased a set of Vance & Hines Monster Ovals to upgrade the exhaust and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit to upgrade the A/C. I now have to decide whether I let the dealer re-map the ECM with the HD stage 1 download or whether to get a PC-V from Fuel Moto that's been mapped for my bike and equipment.

The dealer said they prefer working directly with the ECM rather than installing an aftermarket tuner that simply changes the output from the ECM after the fact. He did also state, however, the the stage 1 download is generic and not mapped specifically for my bike or parts. His contention is that I will get what I'm looking for out of the download - a bike that runs cooler, sounds better, and has gained some performance, and since I don't plan on making any future changes like cams, etc, its not worth the expense of buying the Screamin Eagle tuner. He also indicated the download would cost less than a PC-V plus installation (I plan on letting the dealer do all the installs - you don't want me touching mechanical stuff, trust me!)

I have an e-mail out to Jamie at Fuel Moto with some detailed questions, but I'd like to hear from the folks here that might have some experience with these options. The download will cost me around $140 plus an hour's labor. I don't know the cost on the PC-V as yet since the FuelMoto web site doesnt have prices.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages going one way or the other? Assuming the PC-V route is more expensive, would it be worth the price difference (and about what would you think the difference would be)? Thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:09 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Go with the aftermarket ECM

I would go for the ECM and not the dealer remap. The ECMs can be updated if you make other changes later.

I have bought many things from FM and have been very happy with their products, knowledge and service.

My first bike I did the dealer re-map and the bike did run cooler, but then I wanted to make more changes to the bike and ended up buying the ECM.

My advice, spend a little more now and you will be happier in the end.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Unfortunately, it will cost a lot more for the dealer to do all the work. The PCV comes with the map installed by Jamie and it is simple to install. If you do not feel comfortable doing it, maybe you have a buddy that would install it. The PCV will change air/fuel mixture to eliminate the lean condition, do not think a download from dealer will do that.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:08 AM
mitchdm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 flhtk

I am a fan of Fuel Moto & Jamie. I prefer the PCV for several reasons $300 ~ + Jamie can email or you can go to several websites for different maps when making modifications such as cams etc. Also, down the road you can change the headpipe to an 09 with the wideband o2 sensors, or acquire a set of aftermarket headpipes with wideband sensors & run the autotune. I have had the autotune installed on two bikes and ride 30 to 40k per year. Everytime I make a modification I do not have the need to have the bike dyno tuned. & I have the ability to tweak or modify the Air Fuel Ratio Mixtures. I spend alot of time at High RPM's and enjoy tinkering with the AFR's. Jamie also gives you a two year warranty on the PCV.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went thru same thing as your doing now, i came across this thread and got some really good info, and it saved me money. beings you did say ( I don't plan on making any future changes like cams, etc,) ya might want to read it, good luck with whatever ya do.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-running.html

Old 01-01-2011, 08:40 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Depends on how much you want to spend as the reflash is cheaper...if you make mods later the cost of the reflash would've been better sunk into a pcv...

Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing the remap accomplishes is making the dealer's cash register go ka-ching! Not only is it generic, but it also is EPA compliant.

Why is the dealer recommending it? Cause it is $150-180 for five minutes of work.

Bwana

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 AM
reidsworks
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same debate here

I am considering similar installs. Started with V&H monster ovals, power duel header, Drak AC and SER tuner. Dealer has a winter special that includes free dyno and tune ($250 Reg.) if I buy all components from them. Installation of all parts is $225. Total cost around $2k. Then I hooked up with Jamie and Keith at Fuel Moto/Jackpot Mufflers. Same mufflers with Jackpot 2-1-2, Drak AC and the new PC Vision(due out in a couple of weeks) for around $1500. This doesn't include installation and requires self loading of the premapped PC vision.

Still not clear how much difference there is in actual HP/TQ gains. Research of forums indicate 12-14 in both either way.

Oh, this is for a 2010 EG Classic....
HD SER advantage... tunable by any HD dealer....
PC-Vision - Advantage more user friendly(So I'm told)
The debate continues....
Wife just gave me $150 Harley bucks... the pot continues to grow....

Old 01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of which way you go Dealer, Fuel Moto etc. Do a tuner not the download. You will be kicking your self later if you don't, plus you can actualy get the air fuel mixture where the engine is happy not what the epa wants.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:56 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been there, done that! I started with SE slip ons, SE A\C, & the HD ECM flash. It seemed to run fine without any de-cel popping but I didn't like the sound of the mufflers so.....I upgraded to the PC-V & V&H Hi-Flow slip ons & got a dyno tune at the same tiime. Eventually I will replace my head pipes with the V&H Dresser Duals & at that time I will buy the auto-tune instead of paying for yet another dyno tune. I think the PC-V is the route to go IMHO.

Clay

Quick Reply: PC-V or HD ECM Download?