Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem shifting into 6th gear today

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
adcireda
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem shifting into 6th gear today

Went for a ride today on my 2010 RKC. Went to shift into 6th gear and it would not shift. Stopped to wait for a friend and shut down the bike. Restarted and drove about 80 miles and never had another problem. Was this a fluke or should I be concerned?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I know this may sound funny, but is it possible that you were already in sixth and didn't realize it? My 2010 ultra has a green "6" illuminated when in 6th gear. Many times I am in 6th and don't seem to realize I am there! I have also discovered that if speed falls below 60, then I usually have to shift back to 5th to keep the rpms above my self imposed 2000 rpm minimum.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adcireda
Went for a ride today on my 2010 RKC. Went to shift into 6th gear and it would not shift. Stopped to wait for a friend and shut down the bike. Restarted and drove about 80 miles and never had another problem. Was this a fluke or should I be concerned?

Thanks
I think it's possible to get things in a position were it doesn't want to shift. I've had this happen on just about every bike I've owned while downshifting. Getting around that takes lightly slipping the clutch while pressing down on the shift lever and clicking through each gear until I reach first. After that, all's good. I think it comes from getting sloppy and not following through on the shift, leaving the mechanism in a less than ideal position for the next shift. I don't know if that's the actual fact of what's going on but it's my impression. I've never heard of this happening while trying to up shift but it might be possible.

If this is a one time deal, I don't think I'd worry about it. If it gets consistent, I'd ask the dealer about it. Until then, just ride!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.