Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me Ultra. Seat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM
LA=lower arkansas
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me Ultra. Seat question

Hello all, new to forum and large bikes. Had a 94 Sportster for about a year in 95 and have been without a bike since till the last week. I bought a 09 Ultra. Man this thing is big. Only issue is at 5' 7" my feet don't reach the ground flat footed. I've read about the lower (reach) seats and rear lowering parts. Tell me the good or bad with parts / seats that you have tried to address this issue. Don't mind spending the money for a good product if it going to help my comfort level at stop. Just don't want to blow $500 on a seat and it's junk. Help me out. Thanks

Last edited by LA=lower arkansas; 06-03-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM
kegrill
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new bike. There are lots of choices in seats out there. You can try the HD seats for us shorter leg people or try something like Mean City and have your seat modified to change your position and narrow it so you can be more flat footed. Probably more comfortable too.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM
ozzy49938
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure where your nearest dealer is or if they have the same plan we have here, but I can go in and try a lot of different seats out. Leave mine there take the new one, Run it as long as I want to make sure it is right and than just return it. Other wise I would call mean city. Good people and they will tell you what they can or can't do to help you out.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:50 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

2009's had an extra wide seat that everyone complained about. In 2010 the MoCo revised the stock seat, its a bit more narrow and lower. The bottom is marked "low". They sold them to current '09/ early '10 owners for only $35, which I bought as soon as it was released, solved the issue foe me and have been using on my '09 ever since. So, to wrap up my post: Take off your seat and see if it says "low" on the bottom or if there is a part number you can reference to confirm what you have. If you have the original '09 seat find a mid 2010 or later seat and you'll probably be fine...and I bet if you posted in the "wanted" section someone has one they'll sell cheap...or just give you to get it out of their garage.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:05 PM
67drake
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I started riding again last year after being without a bike for years. I can stand flat footed with gym shoes on, but wearing my riding boots, which are an inch taller than gym shoes,made a huge difference. So maybe make sure you have a thick sole boot on too.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:55 PM
LA=lower arkansas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vistavette
2009's had an extra wide seat that everyone complained about. In 2010 the MoCo revised the stock seat, its a bit more narrow and lower. The bottom is marked "low". They sold them to current '09/ early '10 owners for only $35, which I bought as soon as it was released, solved the issue foe me and have been using on my '09 ever since. So, to wrap up my post: Take off your seat and see if it says "low" on the bottom or if there is a part number you can reference to confirm what you have. If you have the original '09 seat find a mid 2010 or later seat and you'll probably be fine...and I bet if you posted in the "wanted" section someone has one they'll sell cheap...or just give you to get it out of their garage.
Thanks guys, I went and pulled the seat and seems to be original to 09, no "LOW" on it. I'll go looking for a later seat or just buy something that will give me about an inch.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:57 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, that's an original '09 seat that everyone hated with the few exceptions of tall big guys. The cheap way out is a late 2010 or newer stock seat. All frames from '09 up are the same

The following users liked this post:
LA=lower arkansas (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 05:00 PM
LA=lower arkansas
Intermediate

Can't post in the buy forum "you do not have permission to access this page." New user I guess

Old 06-03-2018, 05:03 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada
Nice find, be patient, you'll find lots of seats on here or ebay, try your dealer as someone said above. Also, not sure of your shock length, maybe lower their??? Changed out my 13" inch air shocks out for a 12" coil over style.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

I had the same problem with my 10 ultra. Had the higher seat. Found a used low and had mean city modify it. Money well spent. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and now sit flat foot with knees slightly bent and my boots do not have a taller heal.

Quick Reply: New to me Ultra. Seat question